[Solved] Add places to "configurable menu" applet

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0xFF

[Solved] Add places to "configurable menu" applet

Post by 0xFF »

Hello everyone.

This is a question about the configurable menu applet (https://github.com/lestcape/Configurable-Menu) but I assume what I want to do must work in a generic way so I'm asking the question here.

The menu has a "Places" section containing shortcuts to Computer and Trash. I'm trying to add new shortcuts to Home, Download, Videos and others directories. I've found the configuration of the applet into .cinnamon/configs/configurableMenu@lestcape/configurableMenu@lestcape.json. it has the following entry which looks like what I'm looking for.

Code: Select all

"list-places": {
        "type": "generic",
        "default": "bookmark:file://computer:///;;bookmark:file://trash:///",
        "value": "bookmark:file://computer:///;;bookmark:file://trash:///"
    },
I've confirmed that by modifying the "value" field I can modify the content of the Places section. So I tried adding locations to it like this

"value": "bookmark:file://computer:///;;bookmark:file://trash:///;;file://home/myself:///"
or this

"value": "bookmark:file://computer:///;;bookmark:file://trash:///;;bookmark:file://home"
but no luck there. It does nothing. (I did restart cinnamon after modifying it)

I guess I just don't understand how this weird URL syntax works. Does anyone know ?

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Add places to "configurable menu" applet

Post by JosephM »

letscape may see your issue here but the best bet would be to raise an issue on the github page. He should receive an email notification when you do. I'm sure he will have a proper answer for you.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Hi, what you found is an entry to set dynamically the link buttons and is not available over all menu layouts, just mint, windows 7 and other with an extra panel. The idea is drag and drop your items from the place category (in your case) to the extra panel, there are not a way to define an items and set this where you want inside the menu. The place category have all bookmark that you define on nemo, and other standard items as trash or PC, so really is not necessary create a new one directly over the menu, as you can create it in nemo, or if what you want is a new link to an app, you can use the cinnamon menu editor, and then drag and drop the item.

I hope this instruction can help. If you want set manually the option, and ensure that will apply, after made change in the settings-schema.json, you need to delete the applet configuration(~/.cinnamon/configs/configurableMenu@lestcape), and then restart cinnamon, but is more easy drag and drop the item not?

See an old video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ljXTbwZUo

Regards...
0xFF

Post by 0xFF »

Hi. Thank you very much for your answer.

I'm using the Mint layout (sorry, I should have mentioned that from the beginning). When I say "Places" I'm talking about the upper left corner of the menu with this layout. It's labelled "Places" and contains only Computer and Trash. It doesn't display the special directories (home, documents, download, pictures, video...) neither the bookmarks I defined in Nemo. That's what I'm trying to make it do.

I can't drag and drop anything to here, and I didn't find any way to edit it.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

I'm not right now on my desktop pc (so i can not help you with a video for this specific layout).

Please go to "all applications" (right-top corner) then inside the places category(inside the menu), select the item that you want, as for example "Documents", with a sustained click move the item over where there are the Computer and trash, and drop the item in the position that you want.

More simple, go to "all applications" (right-top corner) then over the places category(inside the menu), select the item that you want, as for example "Documents", right click in the item and then "add to accessible panel".

http://postimg.org/image/pjrluh8w7/
0xFF

Post by 0xFF »

That worked.
Thank you very much.
lestcape
Level 2
Level 2

Post by lestcape »

Ok, please mark as solved if this was what you wanted. As JosephM recommended, please use github the next time, I'm happy to help, so sure you will get a response always in that way. Regards.

Return to “Cinnamon”