What's that dark bar in Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
marmistrz

What's that dark bar in Cinnamon?

Post by marmistrz »

I noticed that while snapping, sometimes a dark bar at the edge of the screen appears. What's that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: What's that dark bar in Cinnamon?

Post by Cosmo. »

That is for indicating the hot area for snapping. by default it does not get shown, you have obviously enabled it in the settings.
marmistrz

Post by marmistrz »

Thanks! Thought it's for something special and tried to activate it in vain ;D
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi Cosmo,

Unless defaults have changed over time, this is the default behaviour in 17.2 Cinnamon. Show tile heads-up-display setting is enabled by default, dragging a window slowly to the screen edge will first show the smaller bar, and when screen edge is reached the full tile preview is shown. After disabling the previously mentioned setting, only the full tile preview is shown.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Hello there, could you give me an example of how it is used and what that snapping thing would be used for? I find that I don't really understand it.
Thank you.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@David Black:
You may be right. I use it so quickly (or use it via keyboard), that I indeed do not see the small bar at all, but instantly the full tile preview.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@beachgardener:

Say you want 2 windows visible side by side. Than you move the first windows e.g. to the left, after that the second to the right (or the first to the top and the second to the bottom). Both windows take the half of the screen without overlapping each other. If you move the windows back they get the previously set size, no need to resize them manually.

For beginners I find it easier to make tiling with the keyboard instead with the mouse. How-to: Give a window the focus and press super-cursor-key (up, left, bottom, right), this gives you immediately the result. Bringing a window back to its previous position and size do the same but with the opposite cursor-key.

There is some more, but you should at first familiarize yourself with the basics.

Note: In principle this works with any window with normal decorations (mainly the title-bar), but if you have a small desktop resolution it might fail with windows, which have a great value for the minimal window size. So start playing with it with something like the text editor or the terminal.
beachgardener
Level 3
Level 3

Post by beachgardener »

Thank you for that, I had a small play with that, needs more practice. I may have some questions later on about this.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit

Return to “Cinnamon”