How to decrease Hot Corner cursor speed sensitivity?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Dubslow

How to decrease Hot Corner cursor speed sensitivity?

Post by Dubslow »

I mostly loved the upgrade from LMDE 1 to LMDE 2 (Cinnamon 2.2 I believe? to Cinnamon 2.6) but I hate the new hot corners. Even after multiple months of use I cannot consistently get any hot corner to activate -- it always takes at least 2, and usually three tries for me to slam my mouse hard enough into the corner. I don't reach half the requisite speed in normal usage, but I had adjusted just fine to never accidentally hitting corners unless I meant to... and as far as I can tell there isn't a GUI way to restore the old behavior (i.e. mouse simply being in the corner activates the Hot Corner, regardless of cursor speed. Or at least with a lower speed threshold). So how can I do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to decrease Hot Corner cursor speed sensitivity?

Post by JosephM »

Actually the behavior of the hot corners hasn't changed at all. They don't rely on cursor speed. There was a bug before Cinnamon 2.6.12 that could make them hard to trigger do to some changes in the panel. If you are still having trouble open System Settings->Panel. Turn the "Allow pointer to pass through panel ends" on. This will make the "hit area" just slightly larger and might help.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

I find the hot corners too sensitive. Would love something to make them harder to activate.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

mellobob wrote:I find the hot corners too sensitive. Would love something to make them harder to activate.
Turn them off :D

To be serious, there is no "sensitivity" involved here. In each corner of the screen there is an area 1px tall an 2px wide. If your cursor travels over that area the hot corner activates. The "hit" area cannot be any smaller or in some cases, like the OP, you won't be able to activate them at all.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

Played with this a bit more and have a sort-of solution (without turning hot corners off!). I have the main menu in far left of the top panel and I just had an icon for it. So, whenever I put the cursor up to the icon for the menu I'd end up hitting the hot corner. I have changed the menu to use the wheel icon AND the text "Menu". Gives my cursor a larger landing area. So far, so good.
ben2talk

Post by ben2talk »

I was confused by this too.

I believe the OP problem (similar to my own problem solved after reading this thread and playing around) is the setting.

So follow me - hit 'menu' and type 'Hot Corners'.
First thing to do is to clear 'ICON VISIBLE' and SET all the 'HOVER ENABLED' in all corners.

To test a corner, set the dropdown menu to 'Run a command'. If it's blank, you'll just get a notification pop-up saying 'Execution of " failed' if you don't type in a command there.

I think the problem is that ICON VISIBLE sets up a huge target for clicking...
Remove this option and just hit the corner (Hover Enabled). Sorted!
ben2talk

Post by ben2talk »

JosephM wrote:
mellobob wrote:I find the hot corners too sensitive. Would love something to make them harder to activate.
Turn them off :D

NOOOO - turn off 'Icon Visible' - that gives a huge area to click and overlaps the panel!

Return to “Cinnamon”