Cinnamon high CPU usage

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
minttux

Cinnamon high CPU usage

Post by minttux »

I have problem with cinnamon cpu is over 250%
it's my system info:

When i go to another console with Ctrl+alt+F1 my cpu is normal:
But when i back to desktop same time its:

Any solution ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon high CPU usage

Post by k357k9 »

When I was running LM 17.1 Cinnamon I was having similar problems with RAM and CPU usage. Have you thought about going to 17.2?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Like k357k9, I advise to upgrade to 17.2, because it contains a newer version of Cinnamon with improved memory usage. You can upgrade like this:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/9
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
minttux

Post by minttux »

k357k9 wrote:When I was running LM 17.1 Cinnamon I was having similar problems with RAM and CPU usage. Have you thought about going to 17.2?
i've installed mate and then active compiz on it but i have problem.i've posted here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=199908

can anyone help?
minttux

Post by minttux »

mscroggi wrote:I am running 17.2 and have noticed some oddness along these lines.. I would intermittently notice some jerkiness. It is quick. but if you are monitoring cpu usage, it looks like cinnamon spikes at the times of the delays. I had originally updated to one of the 36 ketnels.. but reverted back to the 33 ones after seeing the behavior.. but it remained. I never saw this in 17.1

I run a simple desktop. I dont have any applets. What I was running on startup (like conky) I disabled.
I have a beast of a machine with 16G ram, 3T storage, quad core I7 etc.. so its not hardware bound

I installed MATE and switched to it. Now the system seems to be pretty happy.. I havent noticed the jerkiness.. It leads me to an issue with Cinnamon.
it's so bad
After upgrading cinnamon my whole desktop crashed and i can't login to mate and cinnamon and i have to install mint17.2 or any other version from first
but i have mint 16 on my notebook and it works perfectly and i'm afraid to update it. So i don't touch it. i have a lot of projects

The linux Mint team should solve this problem
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

I feel the new cinnamon quite hungry in CPU usage too; I switched to Mate 17.2, it is working very well.
Last edited by jungle_boy on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Post by k357k9 »

Mate 17.2 with a clean install does well here, too.
chris42

Post by chris42 »

I have the same problem in Mint 18 Sarah. Cinnamon spikes to 100% freezing the laptop for 1-2 seconds. It gets worse and more often the longer laptop is running.
A full restart helped, but after reading a bit it is just enough to restart Cinnamon, then it resets and takes a while until freezes come back.

However I would like a permanent fix for this? Anything I can provide to find the error?

EDIT: Created a new thread for Mint 18 viewtopic.php?f=208&t=227638

Regards
Chris
Last edited by chris42 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Please start a new thread of your own, instead of reviving this long dead one of someone else.... If you put the link to your new thread in your message here, I'll try to help you there. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
RyanNerd

Post by RyanNerd »

I hope this helps someone (and maybe the Mint/Cinnamon team in fixing the issue).

Today I added a new panel in Cinnamon (I have a laptop and an HDMI monitor and I wanted a separate panel on the monitor). Anyway, after adding the new panel I noticed a significant increase in CPU usage. I ran `top` and cinnamon was at 65-95% CPU usage. I removed the second panel and CPU usage went down to 15-22% for cinnamon.
roopsingh

Post by roopsingh »

i had one linux mint system running mint 15 where the system was very sluggish and cinnamon was always around 30-60% usage. On other systems, cinnamon is rarely above 1%.

On that particular system, it turned out that the hard disk was failing with sector re-allocation counts and CRC errors climbing each second. After dd'ing the mint 15 installation to a new hard drive and discarding the failing one, cinnamon is now at the typical <1% usage.

A failing hdd can cause all kinds of issues but this is how it manifested. gnome-disks (ie SMART) is something to check for others going through this.
capponz

Post by capponz »

Same problem here.
Lenovo thinkcenter Cinnamon 18.
With Chrome, Chromium or Firefox the Cinnamon CPU usage raises up to 70 % and more and causes freezings.
I had to switch to Mate. Problem was solved.

I really Like cinnamon please Cinnamon Team fix that!
kf4dao

Post by kf4dao »

I had a very similar problem with a new install of LM 18.1 Cinnamon. Then it occurred to me that I had launched in software rendering mode, and when I restarted, in normal session mode, problem solved. I hope this helps someone else.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Welcome aboard, kf4dao de N7JA.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Cinnamon”