How to arrange icons on Desktop forever?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AjvarXX

How to arrange icons on Desktop forever?

Post by AjvarXX »

Hi. I would like all my icons be arranged instead of sitting on each other. I want them ideally fitted. But after I set checkbox on "Arrange" they still can be set without order and I have to doublecheck checkbox again to fix it again. https://youtu.be/7q-4cGKETJs
Is it possible to autoarranged always? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to arrange icons on Desktop forever?

Post by Cosmo. »

At now: no.
AjvarXX

Post by AjvarXX »

Cosmo. wrote:At now: no.
Ok, thanks. Will try to getting used, perhaps this is even better. However checkbox then is not an option for this, I would use just a button called "Rearrange icons once" - that would be more accurate I believe so novice wouldn't get confused thinking it's a bug.
thom_A
Level 4
Level 4

Post by thom_A »

The days of littering my desktop with tons of icons are over for me. They just serve as decorations with no meaningful purpose when it comes to accessing files and apps quickly. Why, because as soon as you open a window, they're out of sight. I only use at least 2 columns of icons space on the left side of my screen. I don't do full screen when I open windows. I resize them so I could still see those icons on the left side. OSes should not be dependent on keyboard shortcuts or adding Alt/Ctrl/Shift to access files. Everything should be accessed using the pointing device only.

And I will be waiting for my request or suggestion here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=198770
AjvarXX

Post by AjvarXX »

thom_A wrote:The days of littering my desktop with tons of icons are over for me. They just serve as decorations with no meaningful purpose when it comes to accessing files and apps quickly. Why, because as soon as you open a window, they're out of sight. I only use at least 2 columns of icons space on the left side of my screen. I don't do full screen when I open windows. I resize them so I could still see those icons on the left side. OSes should not be dependent on keyboard shortcuts or adding Alt/Ctrl/Shift to access files. Everything should be accessed using the pointing device only.

And I will be waiting for my request or suggestion here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=198770
Well, that's your way of using OS which doesn't fit mine. I need icons and expect to use them in a comfortable way.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

There's another place on the desktop to put frequently-used icons: the Panel, also referred to as the Quick Launch area in the Windows world (just to the right of the Menu button). Depending on how wide your display is, you may find room for quite a few of your icons, and they do a really good job at staying in order.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
AjvarXX

Post by AjvarXX »

dXTC wrote:There's another place on the desktop to put frequently-used icons: the Panel, also referred to as the Quick Launch area in the Windows world (just to the right of the Menu button). Depending on how wide your display is, you may find room for quite a few of your icons, and they do a really good job at staying in order.
I spent yesterday over an hour trying to manage that Launching Applet but well, lets say it is not good at this moment. On "Another OS" I could easily drag'n'drop any shortcut, launcher exe or even a folder and use it afterwards however in Cinnamon it is pain in the butt to create a shortcut, not mention that it's impossible to shortcut a folder (I didn't find the way).

But thanks for your suggestion, I downloaded Docking Panel which works superb for my needs and even creates transparent catalgue windows on desktop. Why Cinnamon doesn't create easy drag'n'drop way is mysterious for me.
twodogs
Level 4
Level 4

Post by twodogs »

AjvarXX wrote:
dXTC wrote:There's another place on the desktop to put frequently-used icons: the Panel, also referred to as the Quick Launch area in the Windows world (just to the right of the Menu button). Depending on how wide your display is, you may find room for quite a few of your icons, and they do a really good job at staying in order.
I spent yesterday over an hour trying to manage that Launching Applet but well, lets say it is not good at this moment. On "Another OS" I could easily drag'n'drop any shortcut, launcher exe or even a folder and use it afterwards however in Cinnamon it is pain in the butt to create a shortcut, not mention that it's impossible to shortcut a folder (I didn't find the way).

But thanks for your suggestion, I downloaded Docking Panel which works superb for my needs and even creates transparent catalgue windows on desktop. Why Cinnamon doesn't create easy drag'n'drop way is mysterious for me.
Panel launchers are easy. Right click anything in the main menu and click 'add to panel.' Shortcuts (or links) easy too. Open terminal and 'ln -s path/to/file or folder path/to/where/you want link.
AjvarXX

Post by AjvarXX »

Guys, here is an important observation I made! When the checkbox "Arrange icons by net" is clicked they actually ARE arranged but only vertically! I mean there are invisible vertical columns so icon can't be crossed by those invisible vertical lines!

But here is a question... why it's not the same with horizontal lines? I mean... if it says arrange by net (that's my translation so I may be wrong) then why actually it is "Arrange by columns"? Is it a bug which I should show to developers? And most importantly could anyone double check this behavior and/or create a bug report with proper explanation because I believe language barrier and lack of experience with Linux/Nemo may interfere with clearity of my explanation to devs?

Thank you.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I think you mean "Fix layout". The feature does for horizontally arrangement not (yet) exist.
AjvarXX

Post by AjvarXX »

Cosmo. wrote:I think you mean "Fix layout". The feature does for horizontally arrangement not (yet) exist.
I guess then russian translation is scewed because it's written like it is in Win OS but it's actually different.

Will post an idea then, thank you.

Return to “Cinnamon”