Scrollbar Sliders Almost Invisable

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hierbabuena

Scrollbar Sliders Almost Invisable

Post by hierbabuena »

Hi,
I've got a somewhat dim display on my laptop. In daylight I can hardly see the scrollbar sliders. They got the same color as the scrollbars themselves.

How can I change the slider color? Red would be great :-)

Surely you'll need some system informations to answer my question. How do I find it? Terminal command?

TIA,
hierbabuena
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mik3e
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Scrollbar Sliders Almost Invisable

Post by Mik3e »

Slider images are stored in:
/usr/share/themes/[theme-name]/gtk-2.0/images/scroll
There are three horizontal and three verticle. They are .svg images which can be edited with Inkscape. Gimp can edit .svg's but not export to that format.

I haven't tried this so keep your own backups.

Caution, this foolishness is in the class, "hold my beer and watch this".

Edit: it works. The original files are owned by root, which is a minor nuisance. I edited slider-v.svg with Inkscape. It took a reboot to see the effect.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You didn't say which DE you're using so it's impossible to say exactly what to do, but there are different widget themes available in the settings menu. SOme of them will have sliders with more contrast. It's probably better to go for that than dick around with changing the widget theme you're using.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
hierbabuena

Post by hierbabuena »

What is a DE, desktop environment? I found this command somewhere in forums.linuxmint.com

Code: Select all

cat /etc/linuxmint/info
RELEASE=17.1
CODENAME=rebecca
EDITION="Cinnamon 32-bit"
DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca"
DESKTOP=Gnome
TOOLKIT=GTK
I found the .svg images, thanks a lot! My girlfriend uses Inkscape at work. She said she'll pimp up my sliders :-)

I'll post a screenshot (+ the files if you like).
hierbabuena

Post by hierbabuena »

Meanwhile on Tara...
Changes disappeared with every update - no progress so far: default scrollbars and sliders still grey in grey :-(
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

Copy the theme to the .themes folder (a hidden folder) in your Home directory and edit the slider-v.svg and slider-h.svg files in that location. Any changes will have priority over the original location and won’t be affected by updates.

For example, for the Mint-X theme: sudo cp -R /usr/share/themes/Mint-X ~/.themes/Mint-X

Change the owner from root to yourself. Change your-user-name to your actual user name:
sudo chown -R your-user-name ~/.themes/Mint-X

If your’re using the Linux Mint theme, which has a space in it’s name, then use these commands:
sudo cp -R /usr/share/themes/Linux\ Mint ~/.themes/Linux\ Mint
sudo chown -R your-user-name ~/.themes/Linux\ Mint

You can edit the scrollbar slider yourself easily. Open Inkscape and open the slider-v.svg (or slider-h.svg) file. Click the color you want to use from the horizontal color chart at the bottom. I used 80% Gray. Click the bucket tool on the left (see #1 in the picture below). Click on the slider image to change it’s color. This may need to be done in more than one spot and on the slider outline. There will be some thin lines that are not affected. Click the brush strokes tool on the left (see #2). Use this to go over the thin lines. If you make a mistake, then click Edit > Undo. Save the file.

scrollbar-slider.png
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

roblm wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:52 pm For example, for the Mint-X theme: sudo cp -R /usr/share/themes/Mint-X ~/.themes/Mint-X
You can just cp -R /usr/share/themes/Mint-X ~/.themes/Mint-X

No need for sudo and thus no need for an ownership fix on a copied file. The important thing for cp is the destination directory writable for the invoking user. If not then use sudo.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”