Multi-Monitor Issues in Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattlach
Level 4
Level 4

Multi-Monitor Issues in Cinnamon

Post by mattlach »

Hey all,

Love Cinnamon, it is mu favorite Desktop by far.

Just wanted to post about some of the issues I have been having with my multi monitor setup.

I am running 17.1, with nvidia graphics and cinnamon, fully updated.

Firstly, this is what my display setup looks like in Nvidia settings and the display dialogue (click to make each larger):

Image Image

And a screen shot (click for larger)

And finally, a picture, just so the setup is clear.

My issues are as follows:

Setup:
The cinnamon display configuration window only allows me to make changes to the currently defined primary screen. I can not click on the others or make any changes to them. (this used to work previously, but for some reason does not now.

Luckily for me, I found a workaround. I can change the settings in nvidia-settings. If I just save the settings to xorg.conf from here, the settings are used in the logon screen only, but lost when I log in (i presume Cinnamon must somehow load user-specific screen settings at logon time. The workaround that wound up working, was to set the screens the way I wanted them in nvidia-settings, hit apply, and then open up the displays dialogue, and then everything would already be the way I wanted it, and click apply there, and it would be saved for my next logon.

Use:

In my old multi-screen setup, all my screens were the same height, so I never noticed this problem, but now it has become an issue.

Whenever I save any file to the desktop, it defaults to saving it to the topmost left empty spot of the desktop. Firstly, this is a little annoying, as the behavior really ought to be the top left of the primary display, but that's beside the point. What happens now with screens of unequal height is that new files saved to desktop - by default - are saved to the empty space where there is no screen above the left monitor, and they are not visible from the desktop. (the black box, top left on my screen shot)

My temporary fix for this (which I have not tried yet) is to just create a lot of random empty files with random names until I fill up all of that space, but it is a little bit of an annoyance.

I read above that I can post suggestions to https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon, but I don't want to duplicate existing recommendations. Anyone know if the team are aware of these issues?

Thanks,
Matt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Corsair 1000D, Threadripper 3960x, Asus ROG Zenith II, 64GB, Samsung 990 Pro, Geforce RTX 4090, 42" LG C3, 2x Dell U2412M, Schiit Bifrost Multibit DAC
Server: AMD EPYC 7543(32C/64T), SuperMicro H12SSL-NT, 512GB RAM, 192TB ZFS
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Multi-Monitor Issues in Cinnamon

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this.
Open Nemo and make hidden files visible.
Go into the folder .config and rename the flle monitors.xml.
Log off and back in.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

mattlach wrote:I read above that I can post suggestions to https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon, but I don't want to duplicate existing recommendations. Anyone know if the team are aware of these issues?
Yes they are aware. The issue with desktop icons in setups like yours was just being discussed today along with some others that are related to the same thing.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
MattDGTL

Post by MattDGTL »

What Cosmo said worked for me, 3 monitors.. resolution still defaults back, but at least the screens are where they should be.

Return to “Cinnamon”