Disable middle click on panel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Toa-Nuva

Disable middle click on panel

Post by Toa-Nuva »

Hello there!

When I middle click a program in the panel, the program is closed immediately. Is there any way to disable this "feature"? I find it very annoying, but I could not find any setting for this...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mellobob

Re: Disable middle click on panel

Post by mellobob »

If you left click on the window list (anywhere on the spot on the panel showing the apps you have open) you'll get a little menu. At the bottom is <configure window list>. Click on that. One of the options there deals with the middle click.
Toa-Nuva

Post by Toa-Nuva »

mellobob wrote:If you left click on the window list (anywhere on the spot on the panel showing the apps you have open) you'll get a little menu. At the bottom is <configure window list>.
Unfortunately, I don't get a menu with that entry. When I right-click on an entry in the window list, I only get "Visible on all workspaces" / "Move to right workspace" / "Close all" / "Close others" / "Minimize" / "Maximize" / "Close". When I right-click on the free space to the right of the open windows, I get "Add applets to the panel" / "Panel settings" / "Themes" / "All settings" / "Troubleshoot" / "Auto-hide panel" / "Panel-edit mode". When I try to right-click the small space between two windows, nothing happens at all. I can't find any way to configure the window list at all.
When I go to "Add applets to the panel" and select the window list, there is no "Configure" button shown at the bottom of the window either. The button appears when I select some of the other applets, but not for the window list.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You are right, there is no configuration option for window list. (No idea, what mellobob is talking about.)
This means, that this feature cannot be turned off (at least not to my knowledge). But tell me, where is the problem? The middle mouse button (in most cases the wheel button) cannot be pressed so easily, so I cannot see the annoyance. (Personally I find it a wonderful feature, but that's me.)
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I think the option to disable the middle click behavior was added in Cinnamon 2.6. It can be accessed from both the window list right click menu and the Applet settings.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, Cinnamon 2.6 has this - and other - option.
Toa-Nuva

Post by Toa-Nuva »

Ah, I see. I'm using Linux Mint 17.1 and Cinnamon 2.4.8. So I guess it's not possible for me to disable this behavior for now? That's a pity, but I guess I'll have to live with it. (I'm not gonna try to manually replace Cinnamon with a newer one, I know I'd just break everything. :D)

Anyways, thank you very much for your answers!
Cosmo. wrote:But tell me, where is the problem? The middle mouse button (in most cases the wheel button) cannot be pressed so easily, so I cannot see the annoyance.
Well, it's happened (by accident) at least five times to me by now, and I have been using Linux Mint on this computer for less then two weeks. I can't explain why either, it just happens. ^^ Anyways, when I want to close multiple windows from the list, I just (left-)click and press Alt+F4 once for each - not quite as elegant, but it's simple enough and I'm used to it. And it's less likely to happen by accident. ;)
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

Cosmo. wrote:You are right, there is no configuration option for window list. (No idea, what mellobob is talking about.)
Yes, I'm using 2.6.7 which has this option. Guess we all need to switch to the latest/greatest :)

At the very least, we should note our version in both questions and answers.
Last edited by mellobob on Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

As long as LM 17.2 RC is not a final release, I assume one of the previous versions, which are still supported, as long there is not the RC expressively mentioned in a post. Regarding the middle click there was in no Cinnamon version (except the RC) an option, so no need for me, to ask which version it is.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

To be fair, Cinnamon 2.6 has been released and can be used on Mint 17.1. It's not restricted to the RC for Mint 17.2.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The last version I get via Romeo is 2.6.7 (checked yesterday). Reading at segfault this is not yet the version, which will come as stable release. I did not yet had the spare time to see, which version is inside the LM 17.2 RC.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

I do believe currently Cinnamon is at 2.6.8 and is out of the RC stage. It will still get some incremental version bumps as more users test the 17.2 RC because the larger number of users trying it out always means more bugs to fix. :D

Even 2.6.7 should have the new settings for the window list applet.

Return to “Cinnamon”