Windows automatically maximize when dragged to an edge

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
noparlpf

Windows automatically maximize when dragged to an edge

Post by noparlpf »

I'm just testing out Mint 17.1 Cinnamon on an old netbook that probably shouldn't still be running XP but can't handle Windows 7. So far I'm just tinkering with settings to make it look the way I want it to.

In System Settings>Window Tiling and Edge Flip, I disabled "Window Tiling and Snapping" so I figured it should stop maximizing windows when dragged to an edge. But it's still doing it. Is there another setting somewhere to make that stop, so I can just drag a window off to one side to see behind it for a second without it suddenly covering everything on my tiny netbook screen? If I let go instantly the window just stays off to the side, but if I hold it at the edge for even like 50ms it maximizes the window.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows automatically maximize when dragged to an edge

Post by Dave B »

Hi Jude,

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Mint forums.

That's strange, just tried toggling "Enable Window Titling and Snapping" on my netbook, and its instantly disabled. Is your Mint install fully updated and using the default kernel?

On a slightly related subject, if helpful, I can suggest some settings to try and help maximise netbook screen space?

David
noparlpf

Post by noparlpf »

Yeah, it's weird. I tried messing with all the settings there and I can either have it tile or maximise but not neither.

And yeah, sure. That would be helpful. Thanks.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Do you really mean maximize?
Tiling does not maximize the windows (except if you drag to the upper edge and have activated the appropriate setting, which is off by default).
If you really mean maximize, than it is clear, that disabling the tiling feature does not show an effect.

For finding the culprit create a new test account and test the behavior there (without changing anything). Report back - with the answer for my above question.
noparlpf

Post by noparlpf »

Yeah, I mean maximize. If I drag a window off to the left or right it maximizes and fills the entire screen. I was thinking it might have to do with the tiling setting because there's the check box to enable/disable maximizing at the top edge when tiling is enabled.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Side != top.
Your problem is not related with the tiling feature.

Probably you have a software installed, which does this. Therefor check in a new account.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Okay, settings are fairly simplistic, and not really suitable if vision is an issue.

To help give the feeling of a higher resolution display on an 1024 x 600 netbook with the Cinnamon edition.

1) In Nemo preferences:
(finding Nemo preferences :)) open any folder, under Edit tab look for Preferences
In the preferences window, under Icon View Defaults section, change Default zoom level: from 100% to 66%
Close preferences

2) In the still open folder, under View tab, click Reset View to Defaults (this should apply the previous setting to your folders).

3) Open System Settings / Fonts
Change the Text scaling factor from 1.0 to 0.8 (or use 0.9 if too small)

4) System Settings / Panel
Under Size Options,
Enable Use custom panel size (otherwise it is defined by theme)
If your panel is in the default bottom position, click the Bottom panel height: control, then press the keyboard left arrow key 3 times (if too small, just press left arrow twice)

And finally...
5) Open a folder, drag the bottom right corner (any corner will do) to reduce the folder size, so there are four icons wide (plus some white space), and six icons high. This is how many icons are normally visible with default settings, helps gives the impression of being a higher resolution display, and feels less congested while opening more than one folder.

That's it, all done!

David
lurkatron

Post by lurkatron »

the automaximizing happens here too now and then, even though its turned off in settings. restarting cinnamon and the behaviour stops
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sadhu »

This behaviour drives me bonkers. It just happened again, so I finally searched google site:forums.linuxmint.com and found this thread.

The behaviour stopped for me as soon as I dragged the window back donw to restore it. It wouldn't maximize after that. Reminds me of a time in 1991, working with a 16-bit Computer Automation machine (8-inch floppies). An engineer remarked, scratching his head, "Don'cha just LOVE computers?"

This and 'render ring' hangups of the GPU (222585, 204719, 177589) ---known bugs for years and never rectified.

-Sadhu
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4

Return to “Cinnamon”