Cinnamon crashes after installing fglrx

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Cinnamon crashes after installing fglrx

Post by Arp »

Hi,

I have a machine with an intel Q6600, 8 GB ram and an ATI Radeon HD 3870, running Mint 17.1. Mostly fresh install.

Plain and simple problem: When I install fglrx, the ati driver (no matter if it is from synaptic or downloaded drivers from ati itself), cinnamon always crashes to fallback mode ...

So, what do you need in order to find a solution? :)

Edit: If I log into xfce, I cannot start catalyst and it seems that the two displays are not properly detected.
Thx.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Cinnamon crashes after installing fglrx

Post by richyrich »

AMD has dropped support for the 3870, and the AMD/ATI Legacy drivers will only work in Mint 13 or older kernels. You are left with the only option of using the open source drivers.

Ref: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Hardware
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Note that Mint 13 is still a good option, because it's supported until May, 2017. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arp »

Thanks!

Than I'll stick to the Open Source driver ... seems to run fine enough. The most graphics it will have to do is flash videos ... :)
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Pjotr wrote:Note that Mint 13 is still a good option, because it's supported until May, 2017. :)
Mint 13 is based on ubuntu 12.04.

As of ubuntu 12.04.2, fglrx no longer worked with AMD 3xxx series cards for the above reasons. I have personal experience with this.

I think your best bet is to revert back to the open source driver, which should work fine according to this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

In that link there's something on how to revert to the open source driver.

Or you may be able to in the mint software manager. Haven't tried that myself but have a look.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Note that Mint 13 is still a good option, because it's supported until May, 2017. :)

As of ubuntu 12.04.2, fglrx no longer worked with AMD 3xxx series cards for the above reasons. I have personal experience with this.
There's a simple reason for that: Ubuntu 12.04.2 has a new kernel stack, which is unfit for that old video driver. Linux Mint 13, Xubuntu 12.04 and Lubuntu 12.04 don't: they have (and always will have) the original 3.2.x kernel. :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
bratzbert

Post by bratzbert »

Hoser Rob wrote:

I think your best bet is to revert back to the open source driver, which should work fine according to this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

In that link there's something on how to revert to the open source driver.

Or you may be able to in the mint software manager. Haven't tried that myself but have a look.
I had the same problem and the link you posted solved it. Thank you! :)

My system:

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="14.04.1 LTS, Trusty Tahr"

VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] RS780 [Radeon HD 3200]

I had tried to fix issues with stuttering video in fullscreen mode by installing the proprietary driver, which doesn't seem to support this card.

Return to “Cinnamon”