Having to re-select your username after mistyping password

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Eddard Stark

Having to re-select your username after mistyping password

Post by Eddard Stark »

Hello people! I installed Linux Mint 17.1 ×64 with Cinnamon a few months ago. I've been liking it well enough, but a few things really bug me. Here's one of those things I was hoping someone could help me with:

So whenever I start up Linux Mint, my username is already selected, and all I need to do to log in is enter my passwordn. If I get the password wrong, however, it makes me re-select or re-enter my username before I can re-enter my password and log in as before. Is there anyway I can make it so that whenever I mistype my password I don't have to do this, but instead can just re-enter my password straight away and get logged in more easily?

Thanks for your help! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Having to re-select your username after mistyping passwo

Post by Cosmo. »

This behavior is the seldom case, where the design decision is ... questionable. Not only because it makes reselecting of the account necessary, but especially, because the user might - without noticing, that now the user-name gets asked - enter the password, which gets shown in clear text, so that any person in the same room might get able to read it.
I do not know a way to prevent this behavior.
Eddard Stark

Post by Eddard Stark »

Cosmo. wrote:This behavior is the seldom case, where the design decision is ... questionable. Not only because it makes reselecting of the account necessary, but especially, because the user might - without noticing, that now the user-name gets asked - enter the password, which gets shown in clear text, so that any person in the same room might get able to read it.
I do not know a way to prevent this behavior.
Thanks for the reply. That, as well as the minor annoyance this causes, is precisely the problem. Do you know if there might be any login themes I could try out that don't behave like this. Or do they all work in virtually the same way (aside from being different visually)?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't think that this behavior is dependent from the theme. The option in the settings to remember the last logged in user indicates, that the behavior gets handled by the backend. At least I did not investigate in the themes deeper (only looked at a few of them out of curiosity).
If I make a mistake when I enter my password it takes a remarkable amount of time (several seconds), until I get the opportunity to log in again; with time I have learned to remember in such a case, that I have at first to press the cursor-up-key to mark my user-name before I re-enter my password.

If I would use the computer on a place, where the described security problem would be crucial, I would disable the above mentioned setting in the options.
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

On my LM13 Mate 32Bit I have to enter both username and password to log in. However, I don't know which setting will influence this behaviour. Frankly, I'm quite satisfied with this behaviour since revealing the last logged in user account during log in is considered a security flaw.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Things have changed much between LM 13 and LM 17, they are not comparable.
DanielR
Level 4
Level 4

Post by DanielR »

Cosmo,

does that mean LM17 will always reveal the last logged in user in the log in screen?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, but it can be changed via settings.
kyrios123

Post by kyrios123 »

This is not an issue with cinnamon but with mdm (the login window which is common to all linux mint editions : cinnamon, mate, ...)
I share your opinion, this behaviour is quite annoying.

I see someone has already raised an issue for this on github. You might eventually add your feedback there.
Eddard Stark

Post by Eddard Stark »

kyrios123 wrote:This is not an issue with cinnamon but with mdm (the login window which is common to all linux mint editions : cinnamon, mate, ...)
I share your opinion, this behaviour is quite annoying.

I see someone has already raised an issue for this on github. You might eventually add your feedback there.
Thanks very much for the reply. I will do as you suggest and add a comment there.

Return to “Cinnamon”