[solved] Cinnamon crash after update

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fw190

[solved] Cinnamon crash after update

Post by fw190 »

Hello!

After more than a year of stable Cinnamon today after update it crashed for good.

My setup: Lenovo thinkpad Edge laptop with i3 and integrated graphics.

No extra repos, no tweaking.

I did the update and after a while the screen was turned off (I didn't use the laptop) and I could not get it back to life - the box to type the password didn't show up. I did a hard turn off with the power button and after reboot the Cinnamon popped up a crash warning and went into crash mode. I installed XFCE just to bring my pc to life but it didn't add a start menu... and I didn't know how to show it so I installed Mate and it kinda works.

From the terminal I did:

apt-get f- install

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

reinstalled cinnamon with a tutorial found on the web - no luck - still after every boot into Cinnaomn it crashes.

What to do?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon crash after update

Post by karlchen »

Hello, fw190.

Could it be that you are affected by this unlucky accident which Clem explained here: Last update cinnamon went wrong.
The problem has been resolved by now.
See glebihan's post in order to learn how to recover from the problem, provided this is what happened to you: glebihan's post

Kind regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
fw190

Re: Cinnamon crash after update

Post by fw190 »

Thank you very much!

The code did the trick and I'm back on Cinnamon.

I thought that something was wrong with the repos because at some point the mint repose didn't refresh when I have tried to do an update thinking that a quick fix was released. I should have waited and searched more intensively for fixes and not install XFCE and Mate. Is there a way to uninstall those with all packages?
fw190

Re: [solved] Cinnamon crash after update

Post by fw190 »

Uninstalling the meta files and than apt-get autoremove did the trick ;)

Return to “Cinnamon”