[Solved] Wallpaper colors wrong & windows are white and fuzz

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickmau5

[Solved] Wallpaper colors wrong & windows are white and fuzz

Post by mickmau5 »

Hi forum,

TL;DR
Haven't installed Mint yet, but in test mode the background is this weird color scheme that's mostly white and every application window is white & fuzzy.
I suspect it has to do with my AMD core and/or AMD graphics which are
Core - AMD A10-7400P Radeon R6 quad-core
GPU - Radeon Dual graphics R5 M230 + Radeon R6

I'm wondering if I have to somehow switch to a different graphics driver and then install the appropriate one later?
Image attached below.

More info:
I got a new laptop recently (May 2015) and am looking to dual boot Mint with the Windows 8.1.
I used the Universal USB Installer, and the most recent Mint edition 17.1 Cinnamon.
To test before installation I'm booting by using PC Settings->Update and Recovery->Recovery->Advanced Startup->Restart
This brings me to a menu where I choose to boot from the USB.
After a restart I'm presented the regular boot menu I recall from my last Mint dual boot.
I've tried both regular and compatibility mode and...I actually didn't notice a difference in compatibility mode.
Everything seems to work okay except the wallpaper colors are bizarre (mostly white) and all the windows are just white and fuzzy.
See above for a few comp specs and a suggested solution starting point.

Thanks

>SOLVED

So I guess there are these things called release notes that tell you important things such as *turning Secure Boot off*.
I don't see why that is so crucial for proper graphics/display, but alas.

Works fine for now. Mint y u so sex...
IMG_1160.JPG
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mickmau5

Re: Wallpaper colors wrong & windows are white and fuzzy

Post by mickmau5 »

One problem is that some of the solutions require rebooting, but with my current method a reboot sends me back to Windows.
I also didn't make any room for persistence so I don't know if any installs or changes would even carry over through a reboot.
This link looks pretty good:
http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1501

But I can't read my terminal (lol) so I wouldn't know if any of these steps even completes at all (let alone correctly)...
Also, I don't know how sudo works when I'm just in this live test mode with no account...
mickmau5

Re: Wallpaper colors wrong & windows are white and fuzzy

Post by mickmau5 »

Holy crap it works now.....
I turned Secure Boot off and switched from Fast Boot to CMS....but I don't see why that would fix things...going to verify this...

Return to “Cinnamon”