Debian package to create menu entries: Cinnamon 3 (Mint 17)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kvds

Debian package to create menu entries: Cinnamon 3 (Mint 17)

Post by kvds »

Hi everyone,

First time posting here, I didn't posted this question since it's more like a support question and the packaging section in the forum doesn't seem intended for support.

I'm creating a deb package for an app and was trying to have a menu entry created. I have my [package].menu file under debian directory when I'm going to create the debian package that gets installed with dh_installmenu (but it only uses update-menus, which is not installed on my Mint 17 desktop).

I also install the file [package].desktop to /usr/share/applications/ .

None of this seems to create a menu entry on a cinnamon desktop. Actually, it doesn't create a menu entry on Unity either.

So my question is, which steps are necessary to create a menu entry for a debian package on Cinnamon 3?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kvds

Re: Debian package to create menu entries: Cinnamon 3 (Mint

Post by kvds »

Soooo sorry, the Exec line in the .desktop file was enclosed in quotes (I was using su-to-root -c ..., so I thought it was "appropiate" to do that).

As soon as I removed the quotes, cinnamon put an entry in the menu.

Return to “Cinnamon”