Area screenshots won't work via keyboard shortcuts

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JoBrad

Area screenshots won't work via keyboard shortcuts

Post by JoBrad »

Hi,
I am having a weird issue with Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 64-bit, Cinnamon version 2.4.8. The area screenshots keyboard shortcut won't do anything. In Settings -> Keyboard -> Keyboard shortcuts, I have the following shortcuts set:
[*] Take a screenshot of an area: Shift-Print
[*] Copy a screenshot of an area to clipboard: Super-s
[*] Copy a screenshot to clipboard: Print

The only one that works is the last one. When I press Shift-Print or Super-s, nothing happens at all (The cursor doesn't change, and click + dragging a selection window does not copy anything to the clipboard. I have tried using dconf-editor to reset the shortcuts for the first two to the default values, and those don't work, either. If I directly run the command

Code: Select all

gnome-screenshot -c -a
then everything works as I expect: the cursor changes, I drag to select an area, and it is copied to the clipboard. I do get this message (after I have made my screen selection):

** Message: Unable to use GNOME Shell's builtin screenshot interface, resorting to fallback X11.
but I believe that this is just an information message, and shouldn't matter - plus, the selection is actually copied to the clipboard.

Is there a way to see a log of what is happening when I press a keyboard shortcut? Maybe there's some error happening, but I can't see it? Ideas on how to troubleshoot?

Edit: I have tried creating a custom shortcut to the command

gnome-screenshot -c -a
, and assigning it a keyboard shortcut, but I get the same result as above - nothing happens at all.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hlancaster

Re: Area screenshots won't work via keyboard shortcuts

Post by hlancaster »

I have the same problem and posted my own thread but I haven't gotten any responses. My guess is nobody knows how to fix it? :(

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=198671

Have you had any luck?
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi,

Maybe replies in this thread might help?

David
Joriktos
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Joriktos »

I think the best solutions is to use this command in Keyboard Shortcuts:

sh -c 'sleep 0.1; gnome-screenshot -a'
I got this idea when i saw this post (the picture): viewtopic.php?p=1054719#p1054719

Return to “Cinnamon”