Overriding default window tile sizes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brian.pedersen

Overriding default window tile sizes

Post by brian.pedersen »

The window tiling in Cinnamon is nice, simple and easy to use.

What I miss however, is the ability to override the default sizing, to something meaningful according to my display resolution.

Working on an UHD screen, I tend to set up windows on the left side of the screen to 100% height and 66% width, and on the right side of the screen in three rows of 33/33% windows.

Does anyone know if there is a configuration file somewhere, in which I can change the tile sizes?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Overriding default window tile sizes

Post by xenopeek »

Cinnamon doesn't remember window sizes or positions (KDE can, FYI), and if you want to change default tiling layout I guess that will mean going into the source code. You could install devilspie2 with which you can write window rules, to for example start a specific application always at a certain position, on a certain desktop, and/or of a certain size. You could possibly also use a different window manager (WM), for example use i3 or similar, to get a true tiling WM on Cinnamon (this will be more work and of course replace Cinnamon's WM with whichever you install).

Return to “Cinnamon”