[SOLVED] Cinnamon Desktop Settings

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
velv2

[SOLVED] Cinnamon Desktop Settings

Post by velv2 »

So I'm pretty new to Linux I just moved over from Windows 7 less than a year ago; although I have dual boot with Windows 7 still. Anyway the Linux Distro I chose was Linux Mint 17 KDE 64 bit and so far I've loved it. Recently I got the creative itch and installed a new desktop environment Cinnamon the installation went off without a hitch and I'm now happily able to access Cinnamon. My problem is customising the Cinnamon Environment initially I was having issue with accessing the Cinnamon Desktop Setting and was only able to open the KDE Settings Window. After some playing around and with the help of some luck I was able to find the option to open the Cinnamon Settings Window. The Settings pretty much all work at least from the ones I played with except the Font Setting and the Theme Setting, i.e. when I click the Theme Icon nothing happens. The Background Icon does work. I don't know what's causing this I'm not sure if I need to replace it to use those setting automatically or not but either way I'm sure it has something to do with my lack of Linux knowledge. Is there a way to make the Cinnamon Setting to open as default? ( I prefer the feel of Cinnamon to KDE and set it to default.) Also is there some way to make it so I can customise my environment? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I would like to offer my thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lurkatron

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Settings

Post by lurkatron »

i cant really help as i always install a pure kde or cinnamon or gnome or unity or whatever desktop as i always felt having multiple desktops installed causes problems like you described.

anyway to open the cinamon settings the command is 'cinnamon-settings' - run that in a terminal or change the launcher to point to that
for background(wallpaper) its 'cinnamon-settings backgrounds'
for theme its 'cinnamon-settings themes'
for fonts 'cinnamon-settings fonts'
etc
velv2

Re: Cinnamon Desktop Settings

Post by velv2 »

Update:
anyway to open the cinamon settings the command is 'cinnamon-settings' - run that in a terminal or change the launcher to point to that
I tried this worked correctly. When Click I click on the the Themes Icon in Konsole I get this as a message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 528, in button_press
self.side_view_nav(widget, None, category)
File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 108, in side_view_nav
self.go_to_sidepage(cat, filtered_path)
File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/cinnamon-settings.py", line 115, in go_to_sidepage
sidePage.build()
File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/bin/SettingsWidgets.py", line 325, in build
self.module.on_module_selected()
File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_themes.py", line 27, in on_module_selected
self.icon_chooser = self.create_button_chooser(self.settings, 'icon-theme', 'icons', 'icons', button_picture_size=ICON_SIZE, menu_pictures_size=ICON_SIZE, num_cols=4)
File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-settings/modules/cs_themes.py", line 178, in create_button_chooser
path = folder.get_filename()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'get_filename'

Also under my Linux Mint Menu I can access Cinnamon settings the icon is just invisible.
velv2

Re: [SOLVED] Cinnamon Desktop Settings

Post by velv2 »

Problem was solved by updating Cinnamon through the update manager.

Return to “Cinnamon”