right-click context menu not staying open

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
friimynd
Level 1
Level 1

right-click context menu not staying open

Post by friimynd »

Sometimes, not all the time, when i right click on something the context menu stays open, and other times it does not stay open. I've noticed that if I hold down the right mouse button it will stay open, but only till I release the right mouse button, so I can move the mouse to select an option before letting go of the right mouse button. But other times it does just stay open on the first try. If I right click and it does not stay open and I right click again it will stay open.
It seems to have something to do with focus. Just now I tried to get it to happen in the task bar, since the focus is/was on firefox and this edit window. So, I right clicked on various things in the taskbar and it worked just fine, meaning the context menu stayed open each time. However, when I right clicked on an app panel in the taskbar, meaning one of the rectangles that lets you select an open app, the context menu opened just fine, but when I went to click on something else in the taskbar the taskbar then decided to minimize, though my mouse was still in the taskbar zone. That is a discussion for another thread, however, just felt it needed mentioning.
Ok, so I have opened context menus with no problem in the taskbar, so I then right-clicked on the firefox window and the context menu appeared for less than half a second and then disappeared. The next time I tried the exact same thing the context menu stayed open.
Can anybody duplicate this? It seems to be a linux thing and not just Cinnamon or LinuxMint. I have had this problem on any number of different distributions. I can't say if there is one distro that hasn't had this problem. I just don't recall. I'll be keeping my eye out for it as I test other distros in the future.
Perhaps it is an intentional thing? Do some people like it to behave that way? Maybe they like to hold down their right mouse button while selecting an option, then release to go to that option and remove the context menu? It seems strange if that is the case. I'd have to say it is a problem and not intentional. Lemme know if you can or can't duplicate it. Thanks

I notice it most when using the screensaver window, where I can disable the screensaver or enable it, as when selecting for blank screen or other. It is working fine now. I just remembered that it also happens with drop-down menus when left-clicking. Could it be my mouse? I don't think so, because it only happens the first time, if that, and the following attempts are all good, no matter how many.

UPDATE: It just happened again. This time I was trying to view a data partition. I did rightclick on it, worked fine, selected open in new window. Pop-up says, need permission. New window opens fine, no content. I go to right click on it to select open as root, the context menu pops up and disappears as soon as i let go of the button, which is nearly instantly. Right click again and it stays open till i click on the selection i want.

Just now I tried to replicate it by clicking alternately between the firefox window and the taskbar, it worked fine till i left clicked on the task bar and then right clicked on the firefox window, and the context menu flashed and disappeared. I tried it again, and after a bit of clicking i tried a combination of left-right-left clicking on the taskbar then right clicking on the firefox window. I was able to duplicate this two times in a row with the context menu in the firefox window flashing on and off as soon as i let go of the right button, which is nearly instantaneous.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
#sosfree
#fungusfree
#fluoridefree
#highcarbhannah
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: right-click context menu not staying open

Post by Cosmo. »

Is this only an issue in Firefox, or also in other programs (e.g. nemo, gedit, libreoffice)?

If only in firefox, than click the hamburger icon, click the help icon, select to restart with deactivated add-ons. Does this change anything?

Doe have the possibility to try with another mouse? Is this a laptop, where you can test with the touchpad?
friimynd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friimynd »

no, it is any program or desktop interface with popup or dropdown menus, whether left or right click; not a problem using windows (ms)
#sosfree
#fungusfree
#fluoridefree
#highcarbhannah
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Hm does the answer, that there is no problem using windows mean, that the same hardware is used? You did not mention a double-boot machine and the question, if it may be a hardware problem with the mouse came from you. So I am not sure, how to understand the reply.

Anyway: start the live DVD of Mint: The same problem there?
juicer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by juicer »

Having the same issue on my desktop. If I right click, the menu sometimes disappears as soon as I release the R button on the mouse. If while I am holding the right button, I move the pointer into the menu box, the menu stays open. Thoughts?
Water invented man as a means of transportation.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is also possible, that it is a dying mouse. Only comparing with another one would give more info.
friimynd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by friimynd »

after using several distros and having the same problem with each, to a greater or lesser extent, I have decided it has something to do with the sensitivity of the mouse, specifically the setting for mouse drift while clicking. There is a setting that allows for a drift of x number of pixels during a click before deciding the mouse is moving too much to register a regular click. I'm not sure of the specifics so would appreciate any help in tracking down this setting, thank you.

It seems it is related to whatever setting tells the menu to interpret the mouse as being a click+drag vs just a click, so the menu will stay open as long as the button is depressed so you can hover over to the selection you desire, then release to choose it. This may be desirable for touchscreens i think. Perhaps this can be disabled? I would like to only select menus with a click and not a click+drag.

Anybody got any other ideas on this? Adjusting the sensitivity regarding click vs. click+drag may be the thing, idk.

I've just gotten used to having to click multiple times to open a menu and having it stay open. It helps if I hold the mouse very still. Or just clicking and dragging to the option desired, which I dislike. So, there is a conflict within oneself about which method to use. This is not acceptable as one will always desire one over the other method. So, I've gotten used to multiple clicks and trying to hold the mouse very still.

Thanks for your assistance.

[oh, re mouse, using multiple mouses, thanks]
#sosfree
#fungusfree
#fluoridefree
#highcarbhannah

Return to “Cinnamon”