[SOLVED] Nemo got Ugly?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Nemo got Ugly?

Post by appalbarry »

OK Mint gurus, has something broken in my Mint 17.1 64 install, or has Nemo updated to an entirely ugly new look?

I just let Mint install whatever updates it wants, so it's possible that there was an update last week.

All that I know is my Nemo window looks downright primitive. Pic below.
nemo.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Nemo got Ugly?

Post by kyphi »

Hopefully only due to a temporary graphics chip malfunction.

With Nemo open, open a terminal window and type

Code: Select all

nemo -q
Then open your main menu and click on "Files".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
appalbarry
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nemo got Ugly?

Post by appalbarry »

Shazam - that fixed it. Thanks!
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Nemo got Ugly?

Post by mogplus8 »

Big thanks from me too!! Found the same solution on another blog but the poster didn't mention the bit about having Nemo open at the time, hence the command had all sorts of error messages. Your solution worked a treat!!
:-)
To err is human, but to really stuff things up you need a computer.
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Okay, doing nemo -q works, but Mint always boots up with Nemo ugly. So the first thing I have to do every time I boot up is open Nemo, open a console window and type nemo -q. Is there a permanent solution so I don't have to do it every time I start my PC? Second problem is that all my desktop icons disappear when I execute nemo -q. If I start nemo again (I have a link in the task bar) they all come back again, and they stay when I close Nemo again. Weird, and even weirder that Mint has been released with this, what appears to me anyway, obvious bug. I've searched the net high and low but there is no satisfactory explanation of this behaviour. In some posts there is mention that a bug report has been raised for this, but I don't know enough about Linux to go chasing through all that documentation. I'm just a humble user...

Thanks
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mogplus8 wrote:So the first thing I have to do every time I boot up is open Nemo, open a console window and type nemo -q. Is there a permanent solution so I don't have to do it every time I start my PC?
What kyphi had provided, was not a solution, but a workaround. To find a solution, one has to investigate into the details. Regarding the thread starter (who seems to be satisfied and probably out of the discussion) we know, that he installs all updates that are available. Nearly surely this is the culprit in this case.
But we don't know the least about your system (except you use any version of Cinnamon). With which peace of puzzle shall be start to play with?
mogplus8 wrote:Second problem is that all my desktop icons disappear when I execute nemo -q. If I start nemo again (I have a link in the task bar) they all come back again, and they stay when I close Nemo again. Weird
Not weird, but by design. The desktop - icons and also the context menu - are controlled by nemo. If nemo gets fully closed (with nemo -q), than it cannot control those objects. If you exit nemo e.g. by pressing alt-f4 you only close the visual window, nemo itself stays running and can control the desktop.
Appalbarry3

Post by Appalbarry3 »

Just to be complete, Ugly Nemo returned today with no warning.

I'd sure love to know why....

nemo -q
has fixed it for now.
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi Cosmo, thanks for the reply. I know nearly nothing about Linux so I didn't know that nemo -q actually killed Nemo. I thought it must have just changed something to make Nemo use the nice icons. I also didn't know Nemo ran the desktop. As far as my system goes I'm in the same basket as appalbarry. I just installed Mint and let it install all updates, as the system maintainers know far more about Mint than I will ever know.

My Kernel version is 3.16.0-38 64bit AMD, Cinnamon 2.8.2, Mint 17.2 Rafaela. Nemo version 2.8.1 If my hardware is of interest, it's an ancient and venerable AMD Athlon dual core 64bit 3600+ cpu, 6 Gig of memory, two sata drives, one ide drive, Gigabyte mother board, Award bios.
Thanks,
Ian
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

mogplus8 wrote:let it install all updates
Which level of updates in the update-manager? Level 1 to 3, or also 4 & 5? Any security updates with level 4 or 5?
mogplus8
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mogplus8 »

Hi Cosmo,

In update manager under Levels I have Level 1 safe and visible ticked, level 2 safe and visible ticked, and level three safe not ticked but visible ticked. Levels 4 and 5 have neither option ticked. Under Options I have only the first option ticked "include updates... installed packages". None of the other options are ticked.

However, as I don't know what I'm doing, when update manager wants to run some updates, I generally just tell it to install everything, including level 3 updates. I don't install level 4 or 5 updates. There be dragons...

Thanks,
Ian
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

At first update your system. The latest Cinnamon version is 2.8.5. Reboot after the update.

If this doesn't help, create a new user account and see the behavior there.
klrman

Post by klrman »

Often when I play a video and then stop it half way, I get the same thing but my whole desktop has the brown folders and bold letters. I just reboot but I wish I could find out what is causing this. First time I saw it I was tense, but reboot calmed my nerves :)

Return to “Cinnamon”