NEW CINNAMON INSTALL begins to stall and hang

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnniedoo

NEW CINNAMON INSTALL begins to stall and hang

Post by johnniedoo »

I have just put Mint 17.1Rebecca with Cinnamon on a computer I just put together with spare parts. I have no experience at all with Cinnamon and only been using Mint 17 MATE since last July or Aug.
I have encountered all kinds of issues with hanging, being very sluggish since I put it in 3days ago.
First reason I thought was my 4Logitech devices with a Nano or Unified usb wireless connection and I noticed the cursor freeezing and moving in a choppy manner. So, after researching and reading a few dozen posts i found Solaar and the problem went away, just needed to pair the couple of things i needed and all was well plus I installed a panel sensor monitor
Then, after a day or little more I noticed that there were serious slowdowns. though the mouse cursor was nice and smooth and the sensors showed I had 50% swap and a huge spike in the memory indicator curve up to 95%. I read about cinnamon memory leaks and some issues i didnt quite follow exactly but opted to install the meta-mate option to see how that worked out because i was going to just get rid of cinnamon all together. I have been using MATE in Mint17 to 17.1 without any hassle at all that I didnt cause myself by blundering about and they were minimal issues from learning how to work Linux from windows7 and mac before that
I now have a Mint17.1 Rebeca with Cinnamon 2.2 and meta-Mate. I ran Mate environment all day and had no trouble at all not one thing was off low ram use, cpu use was as to be expected for the the things i tried . i installed some themes and began to tweak those visual things -minor things really . on day 3, today, I went back to cinnamon and it worked very well for 4 or 6hours , i re booted to come back in Mate for 2 hrs and I wanted to see which of the themes or icons i downloaded got shared and one or 2 apps or applets to see how that worked out from one to the other. I never had this sort of set up and had no real idea. i had 2 of the icon themes download and use installmint or mint install as the option if firefox downloader or file manager. neither one seemed to install though it showed 'installed' as i worked it in the theme app
I switched back to cinnamon and within an hour and a half or 2hrs i get all sorts of slow downs swap was used (it was never used once in all the time i have used MATE) now it is back up to 10% and memory is at 96% nothing will load, mouse wont move for 30seconds or more then zap it flies across the screen as the mem use goes down. cpu use is minimal through all this time as is disk use on the sensor monitors.
I did , yesterday, make sure i changed 'swappiness" down to 10.
I was able to open up the resources and process GUI to see what was using what. and there was very little cpu use but it appeared that my memory use was enormous.. I only bothered to put 4GB in this because i read that Linux or Mint was easy on resources and in all of my windows7 builds i rarely come near to 4 gigs of use unless i am on some big project and I have 16gb in that machine (ddr3 x1600) and 8gig in the other. i rarely come close to 50% in the 8gig. -unless there is some leak or other issue
I just dont know how to handle this issue i am having with Cinnamon-for what it is worth, i have not used much more that what came with it and messed only with themes and icon so far. i have yet to try to play any video. the machine got too sluggish from so many 'unknown' reasons. i spent all my time 'Google-ing' all the potential issues from one forum to another and on , and on.
I dont want to just give up and go back to my tried and true MATE with total stability just yet
I have all the updates I could make happen and no proprietary drivers just as it comes with the few tweaks to gain stability i found here in these forums so far
Specs: Mint 17.1 Rebeca Cinnamon on hard drive with meta-MATE addition after installation on an ext4 500GB partition with swap partition made with Gparted
Gigabyte GA 790XTA UD4*BIOS, AMD Phenom II x4 965BE @3.6gz, 4GB GSkill DDR3 1600, HDD:WD 500GB Caviar Black, GPU: Gigabyte HD4670 1GB GDDR3-HDMI on Realtek 811D LAN gigabit Ethernet or wifi to the 6TB WD Duo home cloud, ODD HP sata x24 Super-multi Combo drive.
What i am not finding easy to grasp is , now, why can the shared cinnamon/mate work without any swap use, low/normal memory use in Mate , but become off the wall in Cinnamon for unknown reasons. Not really unknown, but a few or number of different reasons

Thanks
John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnniedoo

Re: NEW CINNAMON INSTALL begins to stall and hang

Post by johnniedoo »

I have added the meta-Mate and only use Mate:Cinnamon just continued to hang up and go up to 3.gb in system Memory resources grep whatever it is. i ended or killed that whatever thing and immediately , the desktop is functional again. I am not sure which application was drawing so much resource juice either. I found that ConkyManager 2.3.3could do that in Mate if i opened it, the thing would 'search' forever for directories and 'grep' system memory would increase in size in front of my eyes with little or no cpu or disk use. as soon as i killed conky , the drag ended -so i got rid of conky in Mate. will have to wait to see if anything eise can trigger off so much memory hogging
I do not know which application or programs are draining sys memory in Cinnamon as yet. would like to get some clue though- I have been searching all over-google, here ask linux questions for hours a day without anything more than a general 'I have that too' post
John
itsgauravjain22

Re: NEW CINNAMON INSTALL begins to stall and hang

Post by itsgauravjain22 »

my system fully hanged up after 20 minutes use of installed linux min17.1 rebbecca cinnamon

Can anyone help..i am a new mint user..previously i am using zorin & it never had such issue...
Thanks

Return to “Cinnamon”