[SOLVED] horizontal scroll by shift+mousewheel

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kaefert
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] horizontal scroll by shift+mousewheel

Post by kaefert »

Hi there!

I am unsure if I imagine things but I thought that this had worked previously desktop-wide, and now only works in Chromium.

I would like to be able to use Shift+Mousewheel to scroll horizontally (in any kind of content that can be scrolled horizontally)
In Chromium this works, it does not in gedit & eclipse.

Is there some way to get this behaviour? (back?) in Mint 17.1 Cinnamon?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kaefert
Level 3
Level 3

Re: horizontal scroll by shift+mousewheel

Post by kaefert »

Hi there!

Thanks for the response!
You're second and third link look to me like they only apply to touchpads, where you can enable horizontal scroll either by edgescroll (scroll by moving the finger horizontally on the bottom edge of your touchscreen) or by two-finger-scroll (scroll by horizontally moving two fingers somewhere on your touchpad)

This does not look like it can be used if you're trying to achieve horizontal scrolling on a deskop computer with a "regular" mouse.

The first link you've posted talks about xbindkeys. I've stumbled upon the same suggestion as in that article and tried it, and the only thing it did for me is to also prevent chromium from also showing the behaviour I wanted.
But now I've looked at it again and found the problem why it did not work. I'm mapping shift+mousewheel to calls to the program "xte" and after trying to manually call it I got the message:
The program 'xte' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
sudo apt-get install xautomation
after doing that, everything works as hoped :D

So concrete what is necessary to get it working:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xbindkeys xautomation
echo "; bind shift + vertical scroll to horizontal scroll events
(xbindkey '(shift \"b:4\") \"xte 'mouseclick 6'\")
(xbindkey '(shift \"b:5\") \"xte 'mouseclick 7'\")" >> .xbindkeysrc.scm
xbindkeys

Return to “Cinnamon”