[SOLVED]Mint 17.1 Crashes to Fallback mode

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BuLLitz

[SOLVED]Mint 17.1 Crashes to Fallback mode

Post by BuLLitz »

I know this topic has been posted many times and is typically a result of not configuring a video driver correctly after installing Linux Mint.
I have been using my laptop for MONTHS without issue. My steam games work perfectly(Still). I really don't think this issue is related to video since the video is working perfectly. 12,000 FPS in GPXGEARS.
The other day, I DID do some updates (through the update manager) and the only other notable change was that I configured Pidgin to auto-start/minimized.
After I configured Pidgin (incorrectly I might add, I wrote pidgen instead of pidgin), I rebooted and now I get a message stating that "Cinnamon has just crashed. You are currently running in Fallback Mode."

I have tried everything that I could find to fix this. I checked for updates, I reconfigured pidgin to not autostart, checked/fixed my packages (1 was broken), deleted some cinnamon config files, but nothing seems to work.

Linux Mint 17.1 (All updates)
Kernel 3.13.0-37-generic
My laptop is an Dell Inspiron 7720 (i7) with dual video. I am (and have been) using the NVidia GEForce GT 650M video utilizing the Nvidia 346.59 driver.

Mate is Ok... But I really want Cinnamon back.
Can someone help me, PLEASE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Mint 17.1 Crashes to Fallback mode

Post by Pjotr »

Things you might try:

- Create a new user and log in as that new user. Does the problem persist?

- Install *all* level 4 and 5 updates (not just the security ones, but all of them. Chances are that some X.org update has healing powers);

- Install a newer kernel (first the latest 3.13, and if no avail: the latest 3.16. Reboot after a new kernel installation);

- Install a newer Nvidia driver (the nvidia-349 for example; use the mamarley PPA for that and *not* xorg-edgers).
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BuLLitz

Post by BuLLitz »

Pjotr wrote:- Create a new user and log in as that new user. Does the problem persist?
Created new user... same result
Pjotr wrote:- Install *all* level 4 and 5 updates (not just the security ones, but all of them. Chances are that some X.org update has healing powers);
There are no updates available of any kind.
Pjotr wrote:- Install a newer kernel (first the latest 3.13, and if no avail: the latest 3.16. Reboot after a new kernel installation);
Installed the latest kernel (3.16.0-34) and rebooted. Same result. Perhaps I need to go BACK to a prior kernel?
Pjotr wrote:- Install a newer Nvidia driver (the nvidia-349 for example; use the mamarley PPA for that and *not* xorg-edgers).
Installed NVidia 349 (using these steps... https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... nvidia-PPA).

Rebooted. Same error... but now my system is using Nouveau according to the driver manager and GLX extensions no longer supported. I have lost the ability to play my games on Steam or even run 'glxgears' to check framerates.

I went from bad... to worse...
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately I have no more ideas....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
BuLLitz

Post by BuLLitz »

Spent hours just getting my NVidia video working again (followed instructions by greencat @ http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=151694). :(
I didn't have to do that before... not sure why I had to now.
Only difference I did from his steps was I used driver 346 and set the bumblebee.conf paths accordingly.

So, I am back to where I was... not able to load the cinnamon desktop.

Should I remove the cinnamon desktop entirely? Again, I am on Linux Mint 17.1.
Perhaps then I can reinstall Cinnamon to see if the crashing goes away?

Anyone have any ideas?
prime-mass

Post by prime-mass »

Just had an idea which may or may not help you. Try doing the following (which you may have to do in recovery mode with Networking enabled):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove nvidia-304 cinnamon xserver-xorg gdm x11-xserver-utils xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-common
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install cinnamon gdm xserver-xorg x11-xserver-utils xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-common

sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

sudo update-initramfs
Now restart and it may work
BuLLitz

Post by BuLLitz »

SCARED! :)

It's worth a shot though...
I will check it out.
BuLLitz

Re: [SOLVED]Mint 17.1 Crashes to Fallback mode

Post by BuLLitz »

Here's how it was [SOLVED].

I had tried the command

cinnamon --replace
to try and reload cinnamon.
When I researched my errors (cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libwayland-egl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory), it took me to this page:
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=190580

I used this command:

sudo apt-get install libwayland-egl1-mesa
Cinnamon is now functional. I have no idea how or why that got removed.

Note:
My frame rates while using Cinnamon is only about 5000fps.
My frame rates while using Mate is about 12000fps.

Return to “Cinnamon”