Nemo - dual o split panel - change panel hotkey

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chris1975

Nemo - dual o split panel - change panel hotkey

Post by chris1975 »

Hi there!

Does anybody know a hotkey to change directly from one split o dual panel to another?

I am an oldschool Windows Commander (even Norton Commander) and notebook user and I really like to use the keyboard for graphical file management, like moving around fotos and stuff.
I tried to find something on the web, but without any success.
In case that there is no hotkey it should be considered, it would be REALLY useful.......at this moment, for me, its the only missing "feature" for a smooth workflow.

Keep on the good work!

Christoph
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Nemo - dual o split panel - change panel hotkey

Post by Pjotr »

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by GNOME Commander, which is an almost perfect clone of Norton Commander:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-commander
:)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
chris1975

Post by chris1975 »

Thanks for the tip......
I used gnome-commander some years ago, lately sunflower which is a nice approach but not really usable yet.

Gnome-commander works nice, but I really would like to see the simple TAP-feature integrated in nemo. I think it would make a big difference in usability for me and surely for a lot more "mainly keyboard users" (the touchpad of my notebook is a real pain!) without much work. Unfortunately I dont know about desktop software programming...... ;)

Greetings!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

chris1975 wrote:Does anybody know a hotkey to change directly from one split o dual panel to another?
Press F3. The command is also in the view-menu, but the wording (at least in the German translation), somehow - mh, let's say mysterious.
chris1975

Post by chris1975 »

Thanks!

What I would like to achieve is a change between the two split panels, normally done using the TAB-Key. (->|)
But any key is OK for me, I just dont want to use the mouse o touchpad to change the focus by "clicking".

Greetings.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You can switch between the panes with F6 (I would also prefer TAB).
chris1975

Post by chris1975 »

Thanks a lot! I really searched for this information, but (as you see) it wasnt easy! ;)

Would be nice to make a "hotkey chart" for Nemo.

Problem solved for me......
Tankx guys!

PS: Installed the Dual Commander which seems to be nicer than the gnome-commander, just to give it a try for the good old Windows Commander times.
MagicMint

Post by MagicMint »

Strange, for F6 to work for me, I have to click once into the right pane… :o
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

MagicMint:
I never noticed that, now that you wrote that, I investigated a little bit and I found the explanation:

I have set that Nemo always launches with 2 panes open. With this setting F6 works at once.
If one has to open the second pane with F3 this problem arises. I consider this as a bug.

As a workaround - for avoiding to reach for the mouse - you can press once backspace (assuming, that one will near to never launch Nemo in the root directory of the file-system), than alt-left (for getting back), after that F6 works for me.

Return to “Cinnamon”