gedit file saving/opening dialog doesn't allow pasting path

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andrewkirk
Level 1
Level 1

gedit file saving/opening dialog doesn't allow pasting path

Post by andrewkirk »

I am using Mint 17.1 Rebecca, installed only about a week ago.

I have noticed that in gedit (and also in MySQL WorkBench) the dialog boxes to open files and to save files enforce stepping through the hierarchy with point and click. There is no field where a file path and name can be typed or pasted.

I tried looking for settings that allowed me to change this but with no success.

For other applications such as LibreOffice and Rstudio, the dialog works properly, with a field where one can type or paste a file path and name.

Does anybody know how this can be fixed, or is it an bug that has to await new Mint releases to be fixed?

I would paste some system info here but I don't know what would be relevant, or whether this is a universal defect of those applications.

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: gedit file saving/opening dialog doesn't allow pasting

Post by Flemur »

I think it's a matter of poor design: "mousepad" and "gimp" and others also don't allow pasting a path or filename.
Edit: nor does firefox (!)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
andrewkirk
Level 1
Level 1

Re: gedit file saving/opening dialog doesn't allow pasting

Post by andrewkirk »

Is there any chance I could work around it by changing the window manager or desktop environment, or is it a design feature of those applications that will be there regardless of what WM or DE I use?

Return to “Cinnamon”