cinnamon crashes...

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nhmarshall

cinnamon crashes...

Post by nhmarshall »

Hello everyone. I'm a bit new to Linux and for the most part I'm very pleased with how everything is running. I do have one issue. Whenever I log out I normally click on the power icon in the upper-right corner and then suspend (to preserve battery life). The issue is every time I power everything back up, the login screen appears and I put in my password, then it loads quite slowly only to eventually show me a message that says Cinnamon has crashed. Whenever I suspend through the terminal without logging out this problem never occurs. But, I would like to be able to log out before suspending. Has anyone a solution to this problem?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: cinnamon crashes...

Post by Pjotr »

In this case you might try if the level 4 and 5 updates can be of help. Make them all visible first, in the settings of Update Manager (by default, only the security updates for those levels are visible). Afterwards, reboot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, guys.

Which Linux Mint are we talking about exactly? Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon or Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" Cinnamon?

My Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" Cinnamon received an update from Cinnamon 2.4.6 to 2.4.7 from the normal repo only yesterday. No "Romeo" repo enabled here. But the Rebecca Romeo repo currently does not hold any newer Cinnamon than the normal repo.

With respect to Linux Mint 17 "Qiana" Cinnamon, the normal repo still offers Cinnamon 2.2.16, the "Romeo" seems to offer some intermediate Cinnamon version, 2.4.1. No idea whether using this version is likely to fix any Cinnamon related problems on Mint 17.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
nhmarshall

Post by nhmarshall »

Thanks for the replies but I'll never know if they were of any help, since I impulsively installed 17.1 Xfce within hours of posting. I was exhausted of little bugs like the one I described, and with Xfce I haven't experienced anything negative as of yet. Cheers.
BuLLitz

Post by BuLLitz »

Yeah... mine was crashing too. People seem to assume that when you crash during login, its your video settings.
That wasn't the case for me.

When cinnamon crashed, I tried the following command:

Code: Select all

cinnamon --replace
That reloads the desktop and the terminal will display any errors/messages.

Doing so gave me this error:
cinnamon: error while loading shared libraries: libwayland-egl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I used this command to fix that:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libwayland-egl1-mesa
Cinnamon is now functional. I have no idea how or why that got removed. I think an update removed that for some reason.

Return to “Cinnamon”