All application in menu disappears

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DenysMb11

All application in menu disappears

Post by DenysMb11 »

After install Alacarte in Linux Mint 17.1 to edit some itens that the "cinnamon-menu-editor" doesn't edit, all the application in menu disappears

When I try to open "cinnamon-menu-editor" it doesn't open

Code: Select all

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-menu-editor", line 19, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/cinnamon-menu-editor", line 15, in main
    app = MainWindow.MainWindow(datadir, version)
  File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-menu-editor/cme/MainWindow.py", line 43, in __init__
    self.editor = MenuEditor()
  File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-menu-editor/cme/MenuEditor.py", line 31, in __init__
    self.load()
  File "/usr/lib/cinnamon-menu-editor/cme/MenuEditor.py", line 44, in load
    if not self.tree.load_sync():
gi._glib.GError: Erro na linha 1 caractere 1: Documento estava vazio ou apenas continha espaços
The end line say: "Error in line 1 character 1: Document is empty or just contained spaces" (something like that)

How can I fix that? (Sorry my bad english)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: All application in menu disappears

Post by mdavies5 »

I believe the Cinnamon-menu-editor is a rebranded AlaCarte. By installing AlaCarte you may have overwritten some Cinnamon files. I would suggest uninstalling AlaCarte and rstoring the original Cinnamon files. Assuming you made a backup of the "/usr/bin/cinnamon-menu-editor" folder.
Cheers, Mike
Geordys225

Post by Geordys225 »

i got the same problem, i was editing cinnamon-menu-editor and some errors popped up such as «undefined theme»
this is a pic of my present menu below...
P.S: I could've installed a theme and full edited my desktop ... but it isn't the matter
Geordys225

Post by Geordys225 »

Yay i got something... first thing make sure the terminal can open cinnamon-menu-editor only as root user;
do :
sudo cinnamon-menu-editor &
if that works and show as main directory the root desktop then you can follow the 2nd step:
Leave the terminal, open the nemo explorer (explorer by default of mint) and check if you can see .config in the home directory, if not do ctrl+h to show hidden files.
I hope all is ok till now, go in ~/.config/menus
Then duplicate the file «cinnamon-applications.menu», and remove or rename the original one to the name of your choice.
Reboot and greatings you're done send a pic on this post to confirm ... this is mine

Return to “Cinnamon”