Frozen windows

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Transistorfips

Frozen windows

Post by Transistorfips »

Hi, I installed Linuxmint 17.1 and from the beginning I have a strange prob. Every day, about two times all windows do not respond to mouse or keyboard input. First I thought the complete video RAM were crashed but the taskbar and the popup messages are still functioning. Afer 2..4 minutes the problem dissapears. Also the terminal windows are affected. Ctrl + Alt + F2 works and with htop I found only 1.5 of 2.9GiB RAM is occupied. Also the fan is switched off and no overtemp occurs.

This is my machine (about one minute after the crash):

Code: Select all

joachim@Asus-Kiste ~ $ inxi -F
System:    Host: Asus-Kiste Kernel: 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: K54L version: 1.0
           Mobo: ASUSTeK model: K54L version: 1.0 Bios: American Megatrends version: K54L.208 date: 09/26/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium CPU B950 (-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 900.00 MHz 2: 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
Audio:     Card: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.13.0-37-generic
Network:   Card-1: Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 v2.0 Gigabit Ethernet driver: atl1c 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: 54:04:a6:2b:a3:2a
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 60:d8:19:8c:f6:a7
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 516.0GB (7.3% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: ST500LT012 size: 500.1GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: Card_Reader size: 15.9GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 246G used: 35G (15%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 2.04GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 187 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 1435.0/3855.8MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Any Idea where to start searching ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Frozen windows

Post by Pjotr »

Nichts auffällendes von inxi, jedenfalls. Na, zurück nach Englisch:

Might be a driver issue. First try the easy generic solutions: install the latest kernel from the 3.13 series:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
(item 3, right column)

Then reboot.

When no improvement: install the latest kernel from the 3.16 series. Then reboot.

When still no improvement: check for a newer BIOS / UEFI and when available, install it.

If these generic measures don't help any, please report back.
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu May 28, 2015 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Transistorfips

Post by Transistorfips »

Heelo Pjotr,
thank you for your help.
For me it's more some sort of windows-management prob. As I mentioned before the pop-up messages work fine and so does the menu tab on the lower left corner. Do you think this gnome artwork has something to do with linux kernel so some "gnome"-modules will be influenced? For me messing with the kernel is risky business for I usually handle non-Linux machines and at the moment this wounded lame duck here is my only machine I have access to.

OT:
>auffällendes
auffallendes. So no evil Rock Döts, please - except here: auffallend <->auffällig. German grammar is a beast...
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

Transistorfips wrote:Heelo Pjotr,
thank you for your help.
For me it's more some sort of windows-management prob. As I mentioned before the pop-up messages work fine and so does the menu tab on the lower left corner. Do you think this gnome artwork has something to do with linux kernel so some "gnome"-modules will be influenced? For me messing with the kernel is risky business for I usually handle non-Linux machines and at the moment this wounded lame duck here is my only machine I have access to.
A kernel upgrade, although admittedly drastic, is never really dangerous. Because in case of problems, you can always boot from the older kernel and then remove the newer kernel again.

In fact, it's exactly because of that easy revertibility that it's one of my favourite measures whenever there's a potential driver issue (like in your case).... When it doesn't work, there's no harm done and you can easily restore the former situation.

In case of problems, I always advise to try the easy "no harm done" measures first, before trying the irreversible measures or the more difficult hacks.
OT:
>auffällendes
auffallendes. So no evil Rock Döts, please - except here: auffallend <->auffällig. German grammar is a beast...
Danke. Wieder etwas gelernt. :P

Obwohl ich fliessend Deutsch rede, ist Rechtschreibung schwieriger. Wenn man redet, dann fallt (fällt?) es nicht so auf wenn man einen Fehler begeht.... Der Andere denkt dann oft, es sei Norddeutsch Platt oder so was. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Transistorfips

Post by Transistorfips »

Hello Potr,
I have installed 3.13.0-48 with the update manager as described in the Link https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates. But the colonel does not appear on the grub boot menu nor has the machine bootet with it. Still old version. Think I have to do it manually...
Transistorfips

Post by Transistorfips »

Hello Pjotr,
It seems your idea for updating the kernel was a success. First I had a prob with grub belonging to another installation -.-
Having not known what's going on I decided upt-get upgrade which changed heck a lot of stuff. With death-defying courage I installed 3.18.2-031802-generic which seem to be very modern for me but it works fine now. No freezing or whatsoever.

Thank you for your help.

Return to “Cinnamon”