Cinnamon — Buggy?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EimerWasser

Cinnamon — Buggy?

Post by EimerWasser »

I started Linux Mint and I saw, mintupdate doesn't show an icon in the menu bar but I can open it. On the desktop I can make a new folder or a new empty document but I can't see them and my mounted drives on the desktop. I can only see the files and the folders in a window of nemo or nautilus but not on the desktop. I tryed to open a terminal and I got a "glass window".
Here is a screenshot
http://img4.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads ... 7o3ecw.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EimerWasser

Re: Cinnamon — Buggy?

Post by EimerWasser »

I pressed alt + ctrl + F1 and started the xserver manually. I could see items on my desktop, open a terminal window and mintupdate showed an icon in the menu bar but Cinnamon was only running in software rendering mode
I rebooted and it was the same story, I started the xserver manually again and it runs but only in software rendering mode.
I'm using LM 17.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Zuerst mal ein Bisschen mehr Auskünfte: :)

Please generate an overview of your system like this:
- launch a terminal window and make it fullscreen, to avoid chopped lines;
- copy/paste this command into the terminal:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
(if you type: the letter F is a capital letter)

Press Enter.

Copy/paste the output in your next message.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
EimerWasser

Post by EimerWasser »

Deinem ersten Satz nach zu urteilen sprichst du Deutsch.
But I'm not sure. I did it:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: pascalconrad-MacBookPro Kernel: 3.19.0-031900-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3) 
           Desktop: Gnome Distro: Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca
Machine:   System: Apple product: MacBookPro9 2 version: 1.0
           Mobo: Apple model: Mac-6F01561E16C75D06 version: MacBookPro9 2
           Bios: Apple version: MBP91.88Z.00D3.B08.1208081132 date: 08/08/2012
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-3210M CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9976.72 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 2953.906 MHz 2: 2954.101 MHz 3: 3095.898 MHz 4: 2424.316 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.4, 256 bits) GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card: Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.19.0-031900-generic
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom BCM4331 802.11a/b/g/n driver: wl bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM57765 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe driver: tg3 ver: 3.137 bus-ID: 01:00.0
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 782.0GB (26.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 250.1GB 
           2: USB id: /dev/sdb model: 2105 size: 500.1GB 3: USB id: /dev/sdc model: Rainbow_Line size: 31.9GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 83G used: 9.2G (12%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 9.59GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 32.9C mobo: N/A 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 237 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 883.1/15954.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
When I did it I had started the xserver manually because Without that I would have been unable to type in a terminal as you could see the terminal window on the screenshot.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Deutsch spreche ich auch, in der Tat, aber auf diesem Forum soll man Englisch reden.... Deshalb nur ein Satz (na, zwei Sätze) deutsch von mir. :)

So: the first thing that strikes me, is that your machine is running on the 3.19 kernel. That kernel is not supported in Mint 17.x. Do you also have this problem when running on a supported kernel (3.13 or 3.16)?

You can switch to a supported kernel with Update Manager (View - Linux kernels). After a switch, reboot.
EimerWasser

Post by EimerWasser »

Yes I have the problem also if I boot with 3.13-37. My intention to install 3.19 was the better support for Thunderbolt. I suppose the causation for my problems is the xorg-edgers-ppa. I removed it with ppa-purge and when it was finished I deleted the ppa's file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/. I executed sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade, sudo apt-get dist-upgrade and sudo apt-get autoremove and rebooted the machine. Nothing changed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

The PPA xorg-edgers is very risky to use, because before you know it, your entire system becomes "on the edge"..... It contains a lot of packages, not only the newer video driver people usually are looking for. Handle with extreme care and never install updates from it!

ppa-purge doesn't always repair everything. In this case I advise a clean re-installation. Then stay away from xorg-edgers and stick to the supported kernels: the 3.13.x and the 3.16.x (kernels from both series can simply be installed from Update Manager).
EimerWasser

Post by EimerWasser »

I've already reinstalled. I know how dangerous this PPA is but I didn't know it some months ago. So I can do without it. I have no problems with Kernel 3.19.2, really. Its a bit faster than 3.13 and support for Thunderbolt and battery life are better. If I get problems with 3.19.2 I can switch to 3.13 anytime.

Return to “Cinnamon”