can't shutdown

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
XIOR

can't shutdown

Post by XIOR »

Hi everyone!
Sometimes my pc don't shutdown when need it!
most of time it hungon with LM logo black screen. and must be long press the power botton to stop.
I use Linux Mint 17.1 with HP 15 notebook pc
thanks for help me to take out of this problem
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: can't shutdown

Post by karlchen »

Hello, XIOR.

In order to find out where the shutdown hangs, it will be helpful to read the last messages on the screen. However, as you know, these messages are hidden away behind the Linux Mint logo screen by default.
So the first step will be switching off the Linux Mint logo until the problem has been analyzed and fixed.

Please, open a terminal window. With root privileges edit the file /etc/default/grub.

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
The name of your editor depends on your desktop environment. Replace gedit by the name of your editor. This will be: gedit on Cinnamon, pluma on Mate, kate on KDE, gedit or mousepad or leafpad on xfce.
Inside the file /etc/default/grub look for the line which reads

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
Remove the words quiet and splash. This will leave 2 double quotes next to each other.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
Save the file. Exit from your editor.
Execute the following comandline which will instruct Grub to rebuild its configuration

sudo update-grub
From next reboot on, there will be no Linux Mint logo during startup, but instead you will see a lot of text messages rushing across the screen, till the MDM login screen will appear.
More important, as we are trying to figure out where your shutdown hangs: when shutting down, text messages will be displayed as well. In case the shutdown hangs, the last messages on the screen might give a hint why.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
XIOR

Re: can't shutdown

Post by XIOR »

Hi Karl
thanks for your reply I'll execute it next time cause I'm face on new strong blem now!
My pc hang on startup with this followin script:

* starting cups-browsed - Bonjour remote printer browsing daemon ok

now I run under live dvd but its not fun anymore
so perhaps you can help me to resolve this!
anyway I sent a new topic about this
thanks for your help and hope you continue on!

thanks Karl

Return to “Cinnamon”