Panel is missing after a crash... and even after a reinstall

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Meistache

Panel is missing after a crash... and even after a reinstall

Post by Meistache »

Hi, I just need some help with Cinnamon (version is 2.4.6+ from Rebecca repository)

My Cinnamon desktop started crashing ("Cinnamon has stopped working" popping on the startup) from a day to another, no reason at all. The only thing I've done with system the last day I used was installing v4l2loopback module to set with gstreamer and use my iphone as wireless webcam (I don't think this is something but I need to be descriptive). Okay. So I've tried the obvious first and went to software rendering session. Worked, but no more panel.
Then I tried the whole thing I've read around: creating a new user (failed), reseting my cinnamon user settings and use gsettings to reset cinnamon properties (fail and fail). No solution. So I just concluded that it was not about settings but Cinnamon engine after all and decided to purge and install Cinnamon back. Voilà, it works again in normal graphics acceleration mode. Still no panel at all.

So... any tips on retrieving my Cinnamon panel from the depths of the unknown? Already set up the whole thing from cinnamon-settings and after purging I'm not sure if there is anything left to be deleted (however I can be awfully wrong since my startup apps config wasn't touched at all, which lights some doubt up my head). ~/.cinnamon and ~/.local/share/cinnamon are brand new. Something I'm missing here?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Panel is missing after a crash... and even after a reins

Post by Cosmo. »

Meistache wrote:creating a new user (failed)
What does this mean? You was not able to create a new user (if so, why, which error messages?) or in the new account the same problem was still there?
Meistache wrote:purge and install Cinnamon back. Voilà, it works again in normal graphics acceleration mode. Still no panel at all.
Did you format all relevant partitions? I doubt, that you did for the home directory, because if you write
Meistache wrote:... my startup apps config wasn't touched at all .... ~/.cinnamon and ~/.local/share/cinnamon are brand new
This implies, that /home has not been deleted during install.

BTW, in your live session you got a panel? If so, I am sure, that in case, you would had deleted /home the problem would have gone.
Meistache

Post by Meistache »

Cosmo. wrote:What does this mean? You was not able to create a new user (if so, why, which error messages?) or in the new account the same problem was still there?
Of course I can create a new user with adduser, useradd or cinnamon-settings-users, no problems with it. The new account had the very same problem.

By the way, I just got back to my PC and then I logged into default session on MDM (which is BSPWM since Cinnamon has crashed like this the first time), then I came and saw your post. So I just decided to create another fresh account and log in Cinnamon so maybe it just got working now since I didn't this after reinstalling. Then I did it and...

http://a.pomf.se/awdjis.png

Back to my actual account and...

http://a.pomf.se/sccclc.png

Fortunately I had that neat GTK menu so I could screenshot it (didn't have sxhkd in my Cinnamon startup apps).

So yes and yes, problem was still there. And still is. And it doesn't seem to have anything with configuration data.
Cosmo. wrote:Did you format all relevant partitions? I doubt, that you did for the home directory, because if you write
This implies, that /home has not been deleted during install.

BTW, in your live session you got a panel? If so, I am sure, that in case, you would had deleted /home the problem would have gone.
No, I no have any reason to format or delete my WHOLE home partition. And `aptitude purge ` just deal with system configuration and some of the relevant user configuration (the only local thing it didn't touch, as the log went, was my .Xsession data due to being locked as I was doing it through BSPWM, I remember it clearly). So if I had to delete things on my home, mainly they would be .cinnamon and .local/share/cinnamon and also .config/cinnamon-session (which I did forget deleting, and this explains about the session data as startup apps being untouched).

But as I told above, based on what happened with a new, clean user, I think purging any other /home data would be useless.

And BTW: I did NOTHING other than using BSPWM and working on some personal scripts (and post this here) before I shutdown. So I came back and it's all messy.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If a new account is also affected, it seems to be a system problem.

Try to re-install your graphics driver.

What is BSPWM?
Meistache

Post by Meistache »

Yup, no clue. Just reinstalled graphics driver now. Nothing new about it.

Btw, BSPWM is a simple tiling window manager.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

So this looks suspicious:
Meistache wrote:And BTW: I did NOTHING other than using BSPWM and working on some personal scripts (and post this here) before I shutdown. So I came back and it's all messy.
As I do not know this software and I am not able to identify it inside the software manager - so t is most likely not inside the official repositories - I cannot say anything detailed about it.

Return to “Cinnamon”