How to add folders/links to menu?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d0mdabomb

How to add folders/links to menu?

Post by d0mdabomb »

Hello.

I've been trying to figure out how to add a folder (or link to a folder) from somewhere like my home directory
to a sub menu within the main menu. I know how to create sub-menus from within the main menu configuration,
but I don't know how to link it to a pre-existing folder.

For example, I have a sega system emulator installed (Kega Fusion) that shows up in the "Games" category
in my menu. I have a folder with all of my ROM's stored in a folder within my home directory. What I am currently
trying to accomplish is to access that folder as a whole from a sub-menu in the "Games" category within the
main menu. I know I can add individual files to a sub-menu by making a command for each one, but this doesn't
help with several ROM's and when I keep adding more to the folder.

I'm used to the Windows way- where all I would have to do is drag and drop a folder to the start menu, or right-click
and "pin to start menu". I just can't find an easy way to do this in mint. Another option I have is to bookmark the folder
and access it from the "Places" section, but that just opens the folder in the file browser, which is not preferred.

My system is running Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca, 64 bit. Cinnamon version: 2.4.5
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: How to add folders/links to menu?

Post by Buzzsaw »

I don't think you can view a directory's contents in the menu; but you can open a directory from the menu, by adding a new entry containing this:

Code: Select all

nemo /path/to/directory

Return to “Cinnamon”