How do I think big? (bigger icons, text, everything)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

How do I think big? (bigger icons, text, everything)

Post by viper37 »

I'm posting here because I use Cinnamon. I figure there is some hidden way to do what I want, something I couldn't easily find on my own, but if not, I'm open to switching to another environment, or in really worst case scenario, find another Linux distribution.

So, I have Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.1 installed on two computers, one of them is an HTPC, it's the one I'm trying to configure more to my liking.

In the past, I had Windows 8.1 with Start8, I could switch between the big tile interface where I had my most commonly used softwares and the usability of the Windows 7 desktop style environnement, and I really liked that interface for an HTPC. I got fed up with Windows, tried a couple of distros, settled on Mint Cinnamon.

So, on my HTPC, I would like to have bigger icons, text, scroll bars, etc. I want everything bigger. The size is just fine for a desktop, but sitting 4-5 meters away from the screen, even if it's 50", I find everything to be very small, especially the text in some applications, like Popcorn Time, I just can't read it easily, despite me having a pretty good vision.

I tried changing the font size and the panel size in the settings, but it doesn't seem to change much. I've installed Cairo dock, it's easier to use than the default menu of Cinnamon, but I'd like this to be bigger too.

Ideally, there would be something like Win8+Start8 where I could easily switch between two interface, one for common tasks, the other for more customization. But in any case, anything that will make the environment appear bigger will do.

As I am no coder, just a simple end user with above average technical skill, I can not compile my own kernel and my own customized interface from various package to create my ultimate Linux distro. :)
I don't feel that easy either about building my own scripts to compile, configure and install a software from source either.

So ideally, the proposed solution would involve at most a simple hack in a text file, so long as I know the file name and its location, or the installation of another software, from repository or deb package, that would let me make things bigger, whitout screwing my desktop.

I've heard of Unity tweaks fro Ubuntu, I am not sure I could/should use this on Mint? Anyway, something like that, for Mint, might be what I'm looking for. Or another desktop interface, more customizable than Cinnamon (that'd be a shame, I really like it :) ). Or something else...

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
Intel Pentium G3240 3.1ghz dual-core
H81I-PLUS/CSM
256gb ADATA SSD (Ext4, OS drive)
WD Red 6TB (x2) (BTRFS, data drives)
16gb RAM
richyrich

Re: How do I think big? (bigger icons, text, everything)

Post by richyrich »

Why not just change the screen resolution ?
teilnehmer

AW: How do I think big? (bigger icons, text, everything)

Post by teilnehmer »

Because OP would then waste the big screens native resolution. You might want to watch HD movies, play games in a decent resolution and overall not have pixel blurring because in 800x480 everythin looks huge (and terrible).

I'll be interested in hearing solutions for this, I'm considering to hook up my desktop to my TV and I would like to be able to switch, too.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Re: AW: How do I think big? (bigger icons, text, everything)

Post by viper37 »

teilnehmer wrote:Because OP would then waste the big screens native resolution. You might want to watch HD movies, play games in a decent resolution and overall not have pixel blurring because in 800x480 everythin looks huge (and terrible).
to answer Richyrich: this. I want to keep my 1920x1080 resolution, just like Windows, but have the option to make the text bigger.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

http://askubuntu.com/questions/60044/ho ... i-settings
--something like that may help: not the use of dconf-editor
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

thank you for the link DrHu, but nothing worked. In Gnome-tweak I changed the font size to 28 but nothing is bigger. I also increased DPI from 96 to 120 with no visible changes. It's a shame Mint Cinnamon doesn't have something like Windows "Change the size of all items" that let me easily adjust the size of text&icons in one strike.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Hi,

Is System Settings, General, Desktop scaling, change 'User interface scaling' from 'Auto' to 'Double (Hi-DPI)' helpful while used as HTPC? Might be too big?

You will need to either log out or restart for desktop icons to double in size.

David
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

thank you David, I am almost there.

Although I find the desktop icons to be a bit too big for my tastes, I can live with that. The default text size is now perfect for my setup.

However, Cairo Dock has disapeared and I can't bring it back at all. I'll have to uninstall it and reinstall it, I guess, to see if there's another problem. Right now, I have a huge semi-circular black bar at the bottom of the screen.

I tried adding the applet Cinadock + to the panel, but despit it being pre-installed, it does not work with the current version of Cinnamon.

Well, stuff for tomorrow night.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

You're welcome,

If some Desktop icons size bother you more than others, icons can be individually resized by right click menu, although not an ideal solution as you would need to select 'Restore Icon's Original Size' after switching back to Auto scaling setting.

For a solution to change all icons at once (*** Please see notes below before proceeding)
  • Open Nemo preferences (open Files (any folder) 'Edit' tab you will find preferences)
  • In newly opened File Management Preferences window, under 'Views' tab, look for 'Icon View Defaults' and change 'Default Zoom Level:' from 100% to 66%
All done, just need to remember to switch icons back to 100% for normal (non-HTPC) use.

Based on your cairo-dock feedback, if helpful, just tested this with docky, changing from Auto to Double (Hi-DPI) seemingly has no ill effect, docky remains unchanged.

Have noticed one issue while testing Hi-DPI scale setting on a HD (1920 x 1080) display, file replace confirmation buttons 'Cancel', 'Accept' and 'Replace' appear off screen. So not an ideal long term HTPC solution.

It would be helpful for HTPC use, instead of 100% or 200% ('Auto', 'Normal' and 'Hi-DPI'), to have (dare I say) an Windows style percentage scale. To keep it simple for users, and prevent lots of percentage scale amounts, first choose HD, UHD, 8K or 16K, then choose 100%, 125%, 150% or 175%. Appreciate its far simpler to write an idea than it is to program.

David

Notes:
  • 1) Can cause desktop icon text overlap for icons with long names.
    2) Folder icon size views can become complicated as individual (previously opened) folder custom sizes can remain, each affected folder requires its settings to be reset each time a global size change is applied.
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

Thank you again David,

I tried Docky and it's working fine, even if not as beautiful as Cairo, imho.

I'm not going to touch the desktop icons, I'll just get used to it as they are, it's no big deal :)

And yes, please, dare say it, that it should be more like Windows on this aspect ;)

However, since nothing can be all good, I have now an extremely unstable system. I don't know why, but my full screen applications often freeze, resulting in a white screen. I'll have to investigate this further and do some tests on another machine. Maybe it's because I don't have a dedicated video card.

Thanks again.

EDIT: ah, also, some web pages aren't diplayed properly, like www.rottentomatoes, the text is overlapping with some of the images.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Sorry to hear you are experiencing stability issues, do you mean just while using Hi-DPI setting? If helpful, I choose between integrated or discrete GPU and have not noticed any stability issues, although did perform Hi-DPI tests on a virtual PC running under VMware Player.

Have you been able to discover the stability root cause?

David
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

David Black wrote:Sorry to hear you are experiencing stability issues, do you mean just while using Hi-DPI setting? If helpful, I choose between integrated or discrete GPU and have not noticed any stability issues, although did perform Hi-DPI tests on a virtual PC running under VMware Player.

Have you been able to discover the stability root cause?

David
No, I couldn't make any test, I discovered I had a power supply problem when I tried to move the computer. Whenever I move the computer, it won't boot again, it requires, ah, a couple of slaps on the case to make it work again. :? Brand new machine, it's frustrating. Took me 2 days just to figure out this problem.

The unstability seems limited to full screen apps, and most often happens when I alt-tab between apps (say Popcorn time and Chrome). So I'm guessing it might be the integrated graphic card of my Intel CPU that is insufficient, or my installation has been corrupted by something I installed, some setting I changed. I'll consider buying a low-profile video card, after I've changed the power supply, if it persist. If I'm lucky, that's my problem. If I'm unlucky, I might have to reinstall Mint again. :(

Thanks again.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

Please don't slap your PC, it's never a good idea, especially not a new one. Is it home build or shop bought? Sounds more like a lose connection somewhere rather than PSU, PSU's either work, don't work, or work with insufficient/fluctuating power levels. Not come across one yet that worked after slapping it. :)

Also, slapping a PC (depending how hard it is being slapped) could damage a HDD if drive is powered on at the time, if motherboard connection is not seated properly PC would seem dead but drives would still be receiving power.

Which Intel CPU do you have, with it being a new one I would be surprised if it's not powerful enough? if very recent it maybe driver related.

Unlucky to reinstall Mint again? Compared to an Windows, updates and programs install, installing Mint is something I look forward too. :)

David
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

David Black wrote:Please don't slap your PC, it's never a good idea, especially not a new one. Is it home build or shop bought? Sounds more like a lose connection somewhere rather than PSU, PSU's either work, don't work, or work with insufficient/fluctuating power levels. Not come across one yet that worked after slapping it. :)

Also, slapping a PC (depending how hard it is being slapped) could damage a HDD if drive is powered on at the time, if motherboard connection is not seated properly PC would seem dead but drives would still be receiving power.

Which Intel CPU do you have, with it being a new one I would be surprised if it's not powerful enough? if very recent it maybe driver related.

David
There is no HDD, only a SSD. I inted to rely on another Mint computer that will act as a server for my files, I'm just not there yet (so many things to do, not enough time), it's a little above my usual technical skills, I have to learn everything as I do it, during my spare time.
The HTPC computer is semi home built. I bought the parts myself, but since I'm a little clumsy with my hands, I brought it to the local computer shop to have it assembled. I installed the OS myself, and all softwares.

He dissasembled it to extract the PSU but found nothing and it worked when he put it back in. By the time I came home and plugged it in, it stopped working again. I want to remove it myself and shake it, see if it stops working and starts again.

The Intel CPU is G3240. I was thinking maybe I need proprietary drivers, wich won't work by default on Mint, only on Ubuntu. I think I've found instructions for this, but I haven't bookmarked the link. I'll find it later, when I have some free time.
Unlucky to reinstall Mint again? Compared to an Windows, updates and programs install, installing Mint is something I look forward too. :)
Well, I don't have to reboot 30 times and install updates for a full day, that is true. Mint is great for this.

However, I still have to add the repositories I need by hand, one by one, and install the software, and customize it.
I used these two guides mainly:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... amon-first
http://www.binarytides.com/better-linux ... -cinnamon/
and a few others for other apps.
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B »

When you tried your PC at home, did you plug it into the same power outlet as before (the one you moved too and experienced problems), if yes, have you tried other sockets since or mains lead to establish if power outlet (or mains extension cable) is perhaps the cause?

As for customising software, I find it helpful to backup hidden /home folders such as .mozilla, .gimp-2.8 and so on, then after clean install, just copy the folders back.

Hope your PC is up and running again!

David
viper37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by viper37 »

David Black wrote:When you tried your PC at home, did you plug it into the same power outlet as before (the one you moved too and experienced problems), if yes, have you tried other sockets since or mains lead to establish if power outlet (or mains extension cable) is perhaps the cause?
yes, I moved it to my office, and I used another computer's power cable. so it definately is a problem with the power supply, or with its installation. I haven't had the time to check it out yet.
As for customising software, I find it helpful to backup hidden /home folders such as .mozilla, .gimp-2.8 and so on, then after clean install, just copy the folders back.

Hope your PC is up and running again!

David
ha, thanks for the tip, I didn't know that :)
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon
H81I-PLUS/CSM
16gb RAM

Return to “Cinnamon”