Mint 17 Cinnamon- Screen Dimming

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
NioShobu

Mint 17 Cinnamon- Screen Dimming

Post by NioShobu »

I was not sure exactly which subforum best fit with this question, so I am posting here, accepting it will likely get moved to a better location.

Since I installed Mint on my Lenovo laptop, (I am using Mint 17 Cinnamon x64) I have noticed that whenever I watch a full-screen video (YouTube, for example), after approximately 2 minutes the screen will dim by a significant level. It doesn't turn off, so it's definitely different that my screen turning off or my screen locking or my screensaver. I have checked Power Management settings, and see no option to affect screen dimming. Just my battery status and some options for my screensaver. I have also tried installing Caffeine, but as the issue seems to not be about my screen shutting off/screensaver, I am not sure it would help, and in fact, it didn't.

I don't have any idea of where settings for this might be, how possible fixes, but it is extremely irritating and has been a large factor in why I've been using Mint less than I'd like, as I spend a lot of time watching videos on my computer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint 17 Cinnamon- Screen Dimming

Post by Cosmo. »

Take a look into the power management settings. There you find an option, if and how much the brightness gets reduced when there is activity. I assume, that you run your laptop with battery power, otherwise this should not happen.
NioShobu

Post by NioShobu »

It's definitely an issue of battery, but I don't see that option in my Power Management menu:
PowerManagement.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Hm, I can not not counter-check here, but IMO your screen-shot looks somehow strange.

The option about critical battery power belongs - if my logic is right - to the battery settings, not to the A/C settings. Both following options should appear on both sides. And the option I wrote about in my last post (I had seen it somewhere in the past) is indeed missing for you.

Are you sure, that you are on LM 17 and not LM 17.1?
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Nioshobu try this, go into system settings, click on applets, install the brightness app, it should then appear on your panel. Click on it and you will see dimming settings. That should give you what you are looking for. :)
duwea

Post by duwea »

Crewp wrote:Nioshobu try this, go into system settings, click on applets, install the brightness app, it should then appear on your panel. Click on it and you will see dimming settings. That should give you what you are looking for. :)

Wish I had found this ^^ earlier. I spent hours figuring out how to stop the dimming on battery power. Afterwards thought I'd register and post my solution to help, but found this. Think I'll spend a lil more time in the forums, even though I really like the man pages :D
nhmarshall

Post by nhmarshall »

I'm having a similar problem, yet my dim settings are set to OFF and it keeps happening. Any ideas?

Return to “Cinnamon”