Show up desktop messages (nm-applet) again [Solved]

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wanka9687

Post by Wanka9687 »

Hello everyone,

Have a small question regarding the desktop messages of applets in cinnamon desktop (Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit, Cinnamon 2.4.6):
How can I show up the desktop message of an applet again after I selected "don't show this message again" ?

Example: I made the configuration for the wireless network and at startup there is a short message that I'm connected. In the message there is a button "don't show this message again" which I pressed. But now I want the network manager applet to show up this message again. I tried for example to set up the wireless connection completely new, however, the desktop message is not coming again.

Thanks in advance for your help.

c u,
Wanka9687
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Show up desktop messages again

Post by z31fanatic »

System settings----> Notifications--------> check the Display Notifications box.
Wanka9687

Post by Wanka9687 »

Hello z31fanatic,

Thank you very much for your fast reply. Yes, I know the Notifications setting.
However, once I ticked the "don't show this message again"-button for the wireless connection it does not show up again, even I ticked the function "show messages" in the Display Notifications box.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

At first, install dconf-tools. This will install the dconf-editor.

Open the dconf-editor and navigate to
org -> gnome -> nm-applet
There you switch the respective settings. In your case, taken from your first post, it is disable-connected-notifications; set it to false.
Wanka9687

Post by Wanka9687 »

Hello cosmo,

Thanks, that solved the issue!
The only thing I had to do was to "forget" the preferred network connection and establish it again.

Really good community here :D
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Show up desktop messages (nm-applet) again [Solved]

Post by Cosmo. »

Fine that you found another way. For an ethernet-connection this will work fine, in case of a wlan-connection it would mean, that you have to re-enter your WPA-password, probably not what you want, at least something more circumstantial.
Wanka9687

Re: Show up desktop messages (nm-applet) again [Solved]

Post by Wanka9687 »

@ Cosmo:
Sorry, maybe misunderstanding.
First I made the configuration in the dconf-tools, then I re-established the network connection in order to show the desktop notification.

Now everything works fine for me even it was not the easiest way :)

Return to “Cinnamon”