Cinnamon Xscreensaver will not start

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rakuba

Cinnamon Xscreensaver will not start

Post by rakuba »

I have installed xscreensaver and put it into startup applications, its splash screen shows at startup.
I have disabled the screenlocker.
However after the regulatory 10 mins the screenlocker screen appears, it is not locked and will go with a keypress
The screensaver never comes up.
Running Mint 16 fully up to date via software update
martin@mint ~ $ uname -a
Linux mint 3.13.0-24-generic #47-Ubuntu SMP Fri May 2 23:31:42 UTC 2014 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

any suggestions appreciated, thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Cinnamon Xscreensaver will not start

Post by karlchen »

Hello, rakuba.

The "Cinnamon Screensaver" will still be enabled in the list of "Startup Applications". Disable it.
Actually, Cinnamon brings along Cinnamon Screensaver, not xscreensaver. From my point of view xscreensaver is not really worth the hassle to get it up and running in place of the Cinnamon Screensaver. Personally I have no need of having my screen display fancy animations while I am away and won't watch them anyway. Yet, your decision.
Running Mint 16 fully up to date via software update
Either this is a typing error, and you use Mint 17 fully up to date; or "Mint 16" is correct, then it cannot be up to date, because it stopped receiving any software updates in July 2014.

Cheers,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
rakuba

Post by rakuba »

Yes, sorry I am running 17, however Cinnamon screensaver is not listed in startup applications.
Also it is trivial to set up on most other flavours of linux & bsd, it amuses both myself and my cat.
Any other thoughts?
Firefairy

Post by Firefairy »

I am having the same end-problem as the OP- I want to turn off Cinnamon-screensaver so I can run something a bit more fun, but it isn't visible in the Startup Applications GUI, and I don't know how to pull up that information via the command line.

Also, trying to work out how to get the old behavior of pretty "screensaver" (yes, I know they do precisely the opposite for modern screens) after a short timeout, then screen off after a longer timeout, but I can work out the details of that after I get both portions to run on their own.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Firefairy wrote:I am having the same end-problem as the OP- I want to turn off Cinnamon-screensaver so I can run something a bit more fun, but it isn't visible in the Startup Applications GUI, and I don't know how to pull up that information via the command line.

Also, trying to work out how to get the old behavior of pretty "screensaver" (yes, I know they do precisely the opposite for modern screens) after a short timeout, then screen off after a longer timeout, but I can work out the details of that after I get both portions to run on their own.
Find the cinnamon screensaver startup file and rename or move it.

Code: Select all

find . -name "*.desktop*" | less
rakuba

Post by rakuba »

I have worked out how to get it running in Rebecca with Cinnamon
Go to screenlocker setup, untick everything and just set a time on the drop down menu for when you want it to start.
then go to screensaver prefs and set xscreensaver to start at the same time.
Works for me in 17.1 but did not seem to in earlier version, but that was probably because I had mistakenly disabled the screenlocker which has a close relationship with the screensaver, ie you cant gave one without the other as the old song says :)
Firefairy

Post by Firefairy »

Adding Xscreensaver to startup applications and setting Screenlocker to the same time works to get pretty patterns going, but the lock function does not engage on my computer. This is fine for my home PC, but not for my netbook, which travels. So, advice is still appreciated.

Still not able to find anything called Cinnamon Screensaver. If I don't have Xscreensaver going, all that seems to engage is the screen locker, so I am not sure why another module would even be relevant.

Edit: Also, Xscreensaver seems to run the first time it is supposed to, then I just get the insecure "lock" screen thereafter. No clue what I am doing wrong...
Firefairy

Post by Firefairy »

Definitely something off about my integration. I have worked out how to turn on the integrated lock in XScreensaver, so it's secure when it runs, but it still only runs in the first instance. After that, the insecure "lock" screen built into Cinnamon (as opposed to the proper lock screen) kicks in instead, even if I restart the screensaver daemon.

Hoping someone has a suggestion of what else to try. Attempts to find Cinnamon Screensaver using the code listed above results in a long list of things that don't appear to be relevant, then an apparently hung terminal window.
ultraviolet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ultraviolet »

[i'm a very non-techy person]

im trying to get xscreensaver to 'work' in cinnamon as well, i can load it up, and it works after that, but i've tried to add it to the start-up applications list and it just loads up as a normal program [onto my desktop, in my face] rather than in the background.

i typed into the command line box trying to create a new start-up program this: 'xscreensaver-demo' it loads it up, but not in the background, any idears?
“Your as addicted as I am”

Return to “Cinnamon”