Periodically interface freezes

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andreios

Periodically interface freezes

Post by andreios »

Hi guys,
I have weird problem, all the time when I'm working on my laptop, my mouse cursor periodically freeze for a very little time, and goes further well. It's repeating constantly. Also these freezes are appear in video, so when I'm watching video via vlc, it's freezes for a miliseconds too. These glitches really "speedy", and actually don't interrupt work, but really annoying me :(
Have anybody some ideas?

Hmm, just noticed the same behavior with sound when listening music in banshee.

Code: Select all

# uname -a
Linux jupiter 3.13.0-37-generic #64-Ubuntu SMP Mon Sep 22 21:28:38 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Память:       5832       5659        172        548        434       1906

cat /proc/cpuinfo 
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 58
model name	: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Periodically interface freezes

Post by Pjotr »

Some things you might try:

1. In case of an Nvidia video card: make sure you're running it on the non-free closed driver;

2. Disable some visual effects (they are fun, but they are also the usual suspects for a wide range of problems);

3. Install the latest kernel from the 3.13 series:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... el-updates
(item 3, right column)

Then reboot.

4. Check for a BIOS or UEFI update on the website of the manufacturer of your motherboard (or, in case of a laptop, check the website of the laptop manufacturer for that). If available, install it.
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu May 28, 2015 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
andreios

Post by andreios »

Thanks for your reply!
You give me some ideas, and so I updated kernel to last major line available in repos - linux-image-3.16.0-30-generic
Also I switched to the nvidia non-free driver.
Bios I'll update later.
Will see does it help in my problem, after reboot...
Tiger25

Post by Tiger25 »

Do you use an external monitor with the laptop lid closed? I get 1 second freezes EVERY 30 seconds when my laptop's lid is closed. Leave your lid open, see if that makes the freezes go away.

I've noticed that my CPU had a higher usage for the second it froze, every 30 seconds.

I've also noticed that my freezes only happen with LinuxMint Cinnamon (17 64bit, 17.1 64bit). LinuxMint XFCE, Ubuntu, Fedora did NOT have the freezes even when the lid was closed.
Kefas

Post by Kefas »

I have the same problem on my ASUS Zenbook UX501JW (Mint Cinnamon 17.3). It occurs every 30s only when I'm using external monitor and laptop lid is closed. Upgrading kernel to 4.4.0-18-generic did not help at all. Freezing also occurs after switching from nVidia to Intel graphics. Looks like it just Cinnamon problem. There is a hope that version 18 get it sorted.
Cinnamon is to nice to go back to Xubuntu.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

How much RAM do you have? I have been experiencing freezes on my computer, ranging from milliseconds to several seconds. Upgrading from 4GB RAM to 12 GB RAM seems to have cured that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Kefas

Post by Kefas »

I've got installed 12GB
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Kefas wrote:I've got installed 12GB
Well then, RAM is not your problem!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Kefas wrote:I have the same problem on my ASUS Zenbook UX501JW (Mint Cinnamon 17.3). It occurs every 30s only when I'm using external monitor and laptop lid is closed.
Only in this situation? In other words: no problem with only one monitor?
Kefas

Post by Kefas »

As I wrote this problem only occurs when you use external monitor and laptop lid is closed. When you lift laptop lid up the problem is gone.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Boot the live system. Can you reproduce the problem there?
Kefas

Post by Kefas »

This problem does not exist when I boot the live system or right after fresh reboot.
It occurs after using the system a while (mostly I suspend the system).
It was very noticeable today after I woke up the system, but problem was gone after reboot.
I suspect it has something to do with memory usage.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Kefas wrote:It occurs after using the system a while (mostly I suspend the system).
I think, that this is the crucial information.
I do not use a second monitor, so I have no experience with that and cannot give further advice. My suspect goes in the direction of either the kernel or the graphics driver.
Kefas

Post by Kefas »

My first suspect was graphics driver.
So I've made tests with graphics: nvidia mode, nvidia intel mode, xserver. Freezing occurs in all of them.
It also occurs on kernels: 3.19.0-32-generic and 4.4.0-18-generic.

Return to “Cinnamon”