May I have two panels, one horizontal and one vertical?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k7aay
Level 1
Level 1

May I have two panels, one horizontal and one vertical?

Post by k7aay »

Yes, I want to control the horizontal AND control the vertical.

If Cinnamon itself will not permit, what docks are small and can be set to vertical?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
--
K7AAY de CN85oh
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: May I have two panels, one horizontal and one vertical?

Post by hpmc13 »

I think that Cinnamon allows only horizontal panels, though you can have one top, or one bottom, or both.

I use one on the bottom through Cinnamon, then Cairo Dock for a vertical panel (it's actually a launcher, but can also function as a panel) on the left-hand side. As far as I know, Cairo Dock can pretty much replace the Cinnamon panels completely (though I've never tried it) and you can set up multiple Cairo Dock docks around the screen.

You can get Cairo Dock in the Software Center.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
scidog

Post by scidog »

Hello hpmc13,

Under Cinnamon 17.1, if I change the panel settings (e.g., from 2 to 1 panel, or from 1 to 2 panels) I need to re-login to make the new settings work. Also, in the same panel I can't move the icons to arbiturary position. By defaults the icons are positioned in the left most area, and if drag them to the right (in the 'panel edit mode') they will be automatically put at the center of the panel.

I feel the old version 13 is more friendly. How do you think?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

scidog wrote:Under Cinnamon 17.1, if I change the panel settings (e.g., from 2 to 1 panel, or from 1 to 2 panels) I need to re-login to make the new settings work.
No need for re-logging. You can simply restart Cinnamon. Press alt-f2, enter r (just the letter), press the Enter-key, wait some seconds.
scidog wrote:By defaults the icons are positioned in the left most area, and if drag them to the right (in the 'panel edit mode') they will be automatically put at the center of the panel.
Are you really sure about this or is it a typo? I never found the icons - correctly said: the applets - positioned by default to the left, but always to the right.

Anyway, you have to draw an applet to the very opposite end of the panel to make it stay there. Furthermore you can accommodate the arrangement of the applets by adding a spacer applet or a separator applet to the appropriate places. Those applet have settings, reachable via right-click, where you can customize them.

Return to “Cinnamon”