Cinnamon 2.4.6 High CPU usage after switching workspaces

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
timato

Cinnamon 2.4.6 High CPU usage after switching workspaces

Post by timato »

Hi.

I'd really appreciate assistance. I'm having a weird issue with cinnamon 2.4.6 under Mint 17.1, recently installed.

When being used gently, cinnamon uses around ~3% CPU as a minimum according to top . However, when I switch workspaces (seemingly quickly), the reported cpu usage minimum for the process is closer to 20-35% after switching workspaces: IT NEVER DROPS BACK DOWN.

When I attach to the process with strace pre-switch, I see poll messages appearing at an interval, but after the switch, its almost constant.

I've checked the file descriptors seemingly involved (6 and 9) in /proc/, and

Code: Select all

ls -l /proc/946/fd
, but I'm not really sure how to interpret what is happening-Im imagining it keeps polling because of a temporarily available resource? I also see something about a card - bear in mind this is on a HP 4330s with an ATI/Intel hybrid graphics combination, and with

Code: Select all

sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

This is becoming really annoying and its pushing me back to gnome-shell which is a real shame as I enjoy cinnamon otherwise - but the battery 'drain' from the constant CPU can't be worth it.

I really need some ideas. I've tried reinstalling --purge cinnamon, as well as removing all applets already, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vrizov

Re: Cinnamon 2.4.6 High CPU usage after switching workspaces

Post by vrizov »

Hi, I have the same problem from 1 week and I can't resolve it till now. When I open a browser (Chrome with only one tab) or any other software cinnamon process jump to 50-60% and remains until I minimize the open windows - STRANGE..... The battery's life decreased to half of the life it had before 1 week. Please HELP....

Return to “Cinnamon”