All windows are not responding

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MaxCPP

All windows are not responding

Post by MaxCPP »

In Linux Mint a problem happens randomly: all windows freeze while I can still use mouse to switch between applications (system toolbar works). Everything else freezes. "sudo mdm restart" is a painful solution. Help how to stop these random freezes.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: All windows are not responding

Post by austin.texas »

"Refresh Cinnamon" can be done a couple of ways.
Alt-F2 > r
right-click on the Panel > Troubleshoot > Refresh Cinnamon
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MaxCPP

Post by MaxCPP »

austin.texas wrote:"Refresh Cinnamon" can be done a couple of ways.
Alt-F2 > r
I ask for a permanent solution. What data about my system should I publish?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Open the Driver Manager (Menu > Administration > Driver Manager) to see if there is a better graphics driver available.

Please enter the command

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
and post the result here.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
boxersoft
Level 2
Level 2

Post by boxersoft »

Do you have any network resource mounted to your Mint file system? I have similar and extremely annoying problems when I mount Windows shares via fstab - I think that network glitches (temporary unavailability, perhaps) were causing a freeze of the GUI to freeze (mouse pointer working and keyboard responding to <ctl><alt><Fn> to switch virtual terminals) until something timed out after several minutes. Hugely frustrating.

The only way I found to get around it was to do away with the fstab-based mounts which is a real pain, but at least my desktop doesn't keep locking up now.
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

The suggestion:
austin.texas wrote:
"Refresh Cinnamon" can be done a couple of ways.
Alt-F2 > r

Does not work when my system freezes. My only recourse is to Ctrl-Alt-F1, kill the app I last used, Ctrl-Alt-F8. Then the Alt-F2 > r works but not needed as things are unfrozen then. I still am seeing only Aisleriot game and Chrome as the only offenders when the freezes occur. Turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome makes no difference.

Graphics: Card: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 3840x2160@30.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3 Direct Rendering: Yes
MaxCPP

Post by MaxCPP »

austin.texas wrote:Open the Driver Manager (Menu > Administration > Driver Manager) to see if there is a better graphics driver available.
Ok, I've installed nvidia-331 driver.
austin.texas wrote:Please enter the command

inxi -Gx
and post the result here.

Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF106M [GeForce GT 555M] bus-ID: 01:00.0 
           X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile GLX Version: 1.4 (3.0 Mesa 10.1.3) Direct Rendering: No
boxersoft wrote:Do you have any network resource mounted to your Mint file system?
No, I haven't.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can see from the results of inxi -Gx that the intel driver is loaded. So you are functioning with the integrated intel graphics, not the NVidia card. Personally, I don't know how to address that problem, because I have never used a separate card. Hopefully, someone more talented than I can offer advice.

The fact that it says "Direct Rendering: No" is not OK. It should be "yes".

Did you reboot after installing the nvidia-331 driver?
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You could take a look at the Nvidia Optimus solution described here - http://www.linux.org/threads/nvidia-opt ... inux.4415/

Or Bumblebee - http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=135283
Linux Linx 2018
astikain

Post by astikain »

Is this the same bug as this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1159707

???

Return to “Cinnamon”