Cannot install any software

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeffW123789

Cannot install any software

Post by JeffW123789 »

I'm fairly new at Linux so be patient with me. (running linus mint 17 cinnamon 32-bit ver 2.216 (I thought I was DL 64 bit as the HP computer I'm on is 64 bit) not sure why it even runs but does?????)

About a month ago I did an linux update, however shortly afterwards forgot the password to install and update needed software when asked to. I was able to reset the password and can use it in the terminal (sudo) but not in desktop (root). Linux is asking me to update but do to the root via desktop I'm not able to access because the password is not recognized. No other account on this computer and no remote (not sure I understand what that means) that I'm aware of. (Even using software manager, it does not recognize the password.)

By the way the error message says,"failed to run mininstall as user root, wrong password."

One thing that I noticed at one point in trying to reset the password is there was a number that had yyy2 and now is yyy8. Not sure if that is of any help.

Is Cinnamon root different from root in terminal? How do I get them both the same password? or can they be the same?

I'm fed up with that other OS and like what I see so far in Linux but at times is rather challenging.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cannot install any software

Post by Fornhamfred »

Hi Jeff, firstly never worry about posting any questions as someone is always willing to help.

Firstly, you can run both 32bit and 64 bit operating systems on a 64bit machine but only 32bit on a 32bit machine.

Secondly, all software updates and new installs are done through the user account and not the root account, so if you know your user account password you will be able to install via the software manager or package manager.

In a terminal sudo asks for the user password so that you are able to access the root account. Mint update also requests the user password to allow it to access synaptic.

Hope this helps
deleted

Re: Cannot install any software

Post by deleted »

To get them to be the same password
if root is not enabled (ie, no su password)
Open a terminal and:

Code: Select all

sudo su
in the terminal will log you in as root, using your sudo password (which is just your user password).

passwd
This will enable _and_ change the password for root to whatever you want.

if root is enabled (ie, you can log in as su on the terminal)
Open a terminal and:

su
in the terminal will log you in as root

passwd
This will change the password for root to whatever you want.
-HInto

Return to “Cinnamon”