Clementine crashes Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
neowalla
Level 1
Level 1

Clementine crashes Cinnamon

Post by neowalla »

Hi everyone,
I also posted this on Clementine's forum. I'm not sure where the bug lies, but Cinnamon crashes when I run Clementine and causes the task bar to dissapear.
I'm running Mint 17.1 64bit and Clementine 1.2. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with what type of file is playing when it crashes. I have had it happen on both MP3 and FLAC files.
The task bar dissapears and becomes more or less transparent. The "LM" icon is still visible in the lower left of the screen and occasionally one or more icons on the right-hand side of the task bar will still be visible. The WIFI signal strength indicator or maybe the music note volume indicator. It differs.
If you click on the main menu, there will be partial text and icons visible. ALT/TAB will allow you to navigate to another open application. The only way out is to hit CTRL/ALT/backspace, or restart if the power button is visible in the Cinnamon menu.
Mint 17.1 64 bit
8GB RAM
1 TB hard drive
Dell Latitiude D630

Please let me know if there are any log files or other data that I can provide to help solve this. Thank you.

Mark
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
GzizFrique

Re: Clementine crashes Cinnamon

Post by GzizFrique »

neowalla wrote:Hi everyone,
I also posted this on Clementine's forum. I'm not sure where the bug lies, but Cinnamon crashes when I run Clementine and causes the task bar to dissapear.
I'm running Mint 17.1 64bit and Clementine 1.2. There doesn't seem to be any correlation with what type of file is playing when it crashes. I have had it happen on both MP3 and FLAC files.
The task bar dissapears and becomes more or less transparent. The "LM" icon is still visible in the lower left of the screen and occasionally one or more icons on the right-hand side of the task bar will still be visible. The WIFI signal strength indicator or maybe the music note volume indicator. It differs.
If you click on the main menu, there will be partial text and icons visible. ALT/TAB will allow you to navigate to another open application. The only way out is to hit CTRL/ALT/backspace, or restart if the power button is visible in the Cinnamon menu.
Mint 17.1 64 bit
8GB RAM
1 TB hard drive
Dell Latitiude D630

Please let me know if there are any log files or other data that I can provide to help solve this. Thank you.

Mark
Mine flashes on the screen and crashes right away, Clementine does not even start. I did sudo apt-get autoremove clementine, rebooted, sudo apt-get install clementine, rebooted, started clementine and it instantly crashes while starting up.

LM17.1 Rebecca x64 Cinnamon
eMachines E625 Athlon64 TF-2- w/2GB RAM.

Clementine used to run quite well, not shure what causes this.
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

I've always found Clementine to be very CPU-intensive whether running on Mac or Linux. No idea why--it does not look that much different than the other media players. I have not had the crashes you are describing but I am not surprised.
GzizFrique

Post by GzizFrique »

Aristotelian wrote:I've always found Clementine to be very CPU-intensive whether running on Mac or Linux. No idea why--it does not look that much different than the other media players. I have not had the crashes you are describing but I am not surprised.
I never had hassles with Clementine, ever, but as of this week. Meanwhile, I have decided to use Amarok instead and then there always is the dear old VLC that is ever-present like a tax number or a bank overdraft. Part of life. :mrgreen:
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

neowalla + GzizFrique

As a point of interest and as possibly useful information while seeking a solution to your Clementine issues, I thought you might like to know that I experience no stability issues running Clementine on 32bit Cinnamon 17.1. Obviously I'm not suggesting you switch to 32bit Cinnamon, but, it may be pertinent information if seeking help from the Clementine forums.

Regards
WT
Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shankaraya »

I have the same problem, only with some FLAC files.
Cinnamon Rafaela 64bit, thinkpad T410. Happened on Rebecca as well. In VLC same files mess up taskbar as well.
Last edited by Shankaraya on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shankaraya: LMDE4 Cinnamon, kernel 4.19.0-9-amd64
Thinkpad T410, i5 cpu with integrated graphics controller (intel).
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI neowalla,

Try installing the wonderful Amarok music player manager.

Maybe installing the 32-bit libraries would help too ... (If you have a 64-bit installation and it doesn't run, make sure you have the package ia32-libs installed [ia32-libs-multiarch for older Linux Mint versions].)

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
neowalla
Level 1
Level 1

Post by neowalla »

Not that there has been any solution to this bug in all this time, but I thought I would also add that Audacious causes the same crash so it's not a Clementine issue, it's a Cinnamon issue and it obviously has to do with playing audio. So far, Audacity has not caused this same issue.
I installed the KDE desktop environment and have not had this same issue with Clem or Audacious. If I have to, I will just switch, but I really like Cinnamon and Nemo and hate to give them up.
I will also add that this has not happened on my desktop, only my laptop. Here is what I am running:
Dell Latitude D630
BIOS revision A19 (last one they wrote 2013)

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Description: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
Release: 18.1
Codename: serena

cinnamon:
Installed: 3.2.7+serena
Candidate: 3.2.7+serena
Version table:
*** 3.2.7+serena 500
Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shankaraya »

Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

neowalla wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 2:46 pm... Audacious causes the same crash so it's not a Clementine issue, it's a Cinnamon issue and it obviously has to do with playing audio. ...
Well, I've had Mint 17.x Cinnamon installed on my laptop before and it ran both Clementine and Audacious perfectly. These things are't usually nearly as obvious as you think.

And, most importantly you still haven't given us decent system info. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI neowalla,

As has been mentioned, It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

I have installed Clementine in Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 and 18.3, and it runs well without problems. You might consider upgrading to the newer 18.3 version through the Mint Update Manager (reboot afterward). There is a PPA for Clementine which provides newer updated versions.

I have always loved Linux Mint KDE 17.3 or 18.x. I do not know why you would want the Cinnamon file manager (files/Nemo) installed in KDE in addition to the better and more capable "Dolphin" file manager?

But, you can install the Nemo file manager into KDE using the instructions below, not from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM). These instructions will install the newer version of the Nemo file manager without the Cinnamon dependencies which is okay to do for all editions of Linux Mint other than Cinnamon.

How to Install Nemo in Ubuntu Without Cinnamon Dependencies - Linuxslaves
https://www.linuxslaves.com/2017/07/how ... unity.html

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/nemo3

sudo apt update

sudo apt install nemo

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shankaraya »

I installed mate desktop and the problem disappeared
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Shankaraya wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 10:02 am I installed mate desktop and the problem disappeared
Um, that's good, but did you just install the Mate DE on top of your existing Cinnamon install? That's going to lead to problems so you should back up your data and do a clean reinstall of the Mate version. Installing multiple DEs is the most common bit of bad newbie advice I know of.

At least it fixed things ... Cinnamon is highly overrated IMHO, and the amount of RAM it takes for a Linux DE is insane. I use KDE but I think Mate is better sorted than Cinnamon.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Shankaraya
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shankaraya »

Now I run LMDE 3 Cindy Cinnamon.
Clementine taskbar-bug still exists.
Don't like Mate desktop. Many operations I don't know how to do graphically. Like open a program in a searchbox in the menu, open a folder as root, make a file executable. I really like clementine for its database handling.
When comes out Mint 19.1 I will go back to mint. With cinnamon desktop. Its the most complete. 4 giga RAM is little. Indeed ridiculous. Must put in more RAM.
Have children at primary school. Mint/cinnamon is the best for them. Stable and easy. Years without problems. Cinnamon community is extremely helpful.

Return to “Cinnamon”