Gnome Terminal Scroll Back Unlimited via Command Line

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erikdubois

Gnome Terminal Scroll Back Unlimited via Command Line

Post by erikdubois »

In the process of automating and autoinstalling I would like to pass a command via a script in the terminal to make the gnome-terminal (cinnamon - rebecca) remember more than the standard 512 lines.

Scrolling Unlimited can be changed via the gui in a tab. Added in picture.

But can the same be done via a terminal?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Gnome Terminal Scroll Back Unlimited via Command Line

Post by Buzzsaw »

I don't use gnome-terminal, so I can only tell you what I've found on Google. According to this page, gnome-terminal settings can be edited via the command line using gconf-editor (or it might be dconf-editor now, I'm not sure). An example on there is:

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 -t int --set /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/scrollback_lines 10000
Possibly setting it to 0, or -1 will make it unlimited. If you first make it unlimited using the GUI, you can then see what the gconf-editor (or dconf-editor) value gets set to.
erikdubois

Re: Gnome Terminal Scroll Back Unlimited via Command Line

Post by erikdubois »

Thank for pointing me in the right direction

is seems this was a boolean and i looked up the name so I changed it to this

Code: Select all

gconftool-2 -t bool --set /apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default/scrollback_unlimited 1 

This works.

Thanks

Return to “Cinnamon”