Where does cinnamon keep all its settings

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
erikdubois

Where does cinnamon keep all its settings

Post by erikdubois »

If i change the cinnamon settings, I would like to able back them up OR make a script with all these changes.
Same goes for nemo. Better this goes in another forum.

After clean install i have a script with all my needed software (apt-get install ...)
What about all the specifics/settings you change in cinnamon and nemo and have to redo everytime?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Where does cinnamon keep all its settings

Post by xenopeek »

Configuration of Cinnamon applets, desklets, and extensions is kept in the hidden folder .cinnamon/configs in your own home folder. For Cinnamon you'll find any themes, applets, desklets, and extensions you installed in .local/share/cinnamon/. For Nemo you'll find any actions you install in .local/share/nemo/. (Press Ctrl+H in your file manager to show hidden files and folders, or select that option from the menu. Command "ls -a" on the terminal to see all files and folders.)

Configuration of Cinnamon and Nemo itself is stored using dconf. To access that, install the package dconf-tools. You'll find the dconf Editor in your menu, where you can browse the dconf database. Cinnamon and Nemo configuration is found under org. On the terminal you can extract these parts of the configuration with the commands:

Code: Select all

dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > dconf.org.cinnamon
dconf dump /org/nemo/ > dconf.org.nemo
Dumps it to files dconf.org.cinnamon and dconf.org.nemo. It only dumps the values that aren't on their default values; so the output is likely shorter than what you see in dconf Editor (as likely most of the settings have default values; not customized by you). At a later moment you can us the command "dconf load filename" to restore settings previously stored in filename. Perhaps first do a "dconf reset -f /org/cinnamon/" or "dconf reset -f /org/nemo/" to reset all values to their default, before you load the customized values--not sure if the load command for example resets values that were the default when you made the dump, but you have changed since.

Depending on what you want to be able to roll back, pick and choose from the above.
erikdubois

Post by erikdubois »

After a few experiments the following lines worked for me.
Thanks for the help!!

DUMP PROCESS

dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > cinnamon.dconf
dconf dump /org/nemo/ > nemo.dconf
dconf dump /org/gtk/ > gtk.dconf
dconf dump /org/gnome/ > gnome.dconf

LOAD PROCESS

dconf load /org/cinnamon/ < cinnamon.dconf
dconf load /org/nemo/ < nemo.dconf
dconf load /org/gtk/ < gtk.dconf
dconf load /org/gnome/ < gnome.dconf

Each of them in a a batch file, make it executable and dump on one pc and load on an another.

My CTRL+SHIFT +ESC for gnome-system-monitor, wallpaper, font, all cinnamon, nemo, gnome and gtk settings transferred with ease.

Try to do this with windows pffff

Posting this for others to see.

ps. dconf reset -f /org/cinnamon/ is not a good idea. Cinnamon become unresponisive and did a hard reset...
ps. best change linux-mint after clean install, make a dump so you can reset later with a load
djk44883

Post by djk44883 »

erikdubois wrote: DUMP PROCESS

LOAD PROCESS

Each of them in a a batch file, make it executable and dump on one pc and load on an another.

THANK YOU! This is what I need to have consistency across all my systems!
andrewpayne1912
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andrewpayne1912 »

erikdubois wrote: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:07 pm After a few experiments the following lines worked for me.
Thanks for the help!!

DUMP PROCESS

LOAD PROCESS

My CTRL+SHIFT +ESC for gnome-system-monitor, wallpaper, font, all cinnamon, nemo, gnome and gtk settings transferred with ease.

Try to do this with windows pffff

ps. dconf reset -f /org/cinnamon/ is not a good idea. Cinnamon become unresponisive and did a hard reset...
ps. best change linux-mint after clean install, make a dump so you can reset later with a load
This is precisely what I was looking for too - many thanks @erikdubois
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

So we are thinking that this works between LM 19.3 Cinn and LM 20.2 Cinn. I might try this dump/load, or I might just build it up as I go. Not sure yet.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

Where does the "dump" process put the files?
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Executioner wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:19 am Where does the "dump" process put the files?
It will dump it to wherever you point the file to.

Will dump the file to the current working path of your terminal. If you just open a terminal without changing directories, then by default, it will be dumped to your home folder.

If you're using nemo, and you right click in a folder and select 'Open in terminal' then the same command will dump the file to the folder you were in.

Or you can change the command to select a particular folder:

dconf dump /org/cinnamon/ > ~/Documents/backups/cinnamon.dconf

Would put the file in your Documents folder under a 'backups' subdirectory (but only if the folder already exists).
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

Thanks for the detailed explanation.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

erikdubois wrote: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:27 am If i change the cinnamon settings, I would like to able back them up OR make a script with all these changes.
Same goes for nemo. Better this goes in another forum.

After clean install i have a script with all my needed software (apt-get install ...)

What about all the specifics/settings you change in cinnamon and nemo and have to redo everytime?
This is something I have wanted to do myself,
how did you go about creating that Script?

the rest of this thread is Awesome!

I realize BackupTool can do some of this, but going from 19.3 to 20.2 was a disaster.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Cinnamon”