How to change "START" menu font size?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jeffpas

How to change "START" menu font size?

Post by jeffpas »

Hi been struggling for awhile to change the font size of the '* Menu" startup menu- it is too small.
I don't see anything in System Settings--> Fonts that seems to affect it.
Also this article:

http://digitizor.com/2013/04/24/change- ... n-desktop/

Talks about editing /usr/share/cinnamon/theme/cinnamon.css, I've changed the line suggested and every other font line I could find, rebooted and the menu remains stubbornly small, as if it is fixed in concrete. In fact the text looks even smaller......... thought that could be my imagination :/
How do you change the font size of the main menu? Has anyone done it successfully? thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jeffpas

Re: How to change "START" menu font size?

Post by jeffpas »

Also to add something......... the greyed menu area that opens up when you click "Menu" only takes up about half down the screen, and then makes you have to move the scroll bar to see all the options vertically (such as, "Administration").
I'm not sure the reasoning for this- how do you make the menu area extend all the way down to the bottom of the screen, so you can see all the menu options? I don't see an option to do so anywhere (??)
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

To increase the menu font, adjust the Text scaling factor.

System Settings > Fonts > Font Settings > Text scaling factor.

Look at "Configurable Menu" in Applets.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

I'm not sure about font sizes, but to increase the height of the menu you can simply add more items to the favourites section on the left hand side.. the menu pane alters is size to fit the single column of icons on the right, so more icons = taller menu.

Hope this helps
WT
jeffpas

Post by jeffpas »

How do you add to Favorites?

If I Right click on the menu, nothing happens. If I choose 'Configure' and open the Menu Editor, the menu showing is not the same display, and anything "New" does not go into the menu.
If I try to drag and drop anything to the menu, it vanishes.......... maybe its a secret key sequence?
jeffpas

Post by jeffpas »

OK I got it.

You need to drag and drop from WITHIN the menu itself, and only items to the far right.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

jeffpas wrote:How do you add to Favorites?

If I Right click on the menu, nothing happens. If I choose 'Configure' and open the Menu Editor, the menu showing is not the same display, and anything "New" does not go into the menu.
If I try to drag and drop anything to the menu, it vanishes.......... maybe its a secret key sequence?
Find the menu item you want to add to favourites ( in the normal main menu) right click on that menu entry.. and well it's kind extremely obvious from that point as.. you then click 'add to favourites'.

This is from memory as I'm on my Xfce desktop at present, but I'll switch to cinnamon now and post back if I missed something.

Regards
WT
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

jeffpas wrote:OK I got it.

You need to drag and drop from WITHIN the menu itself, and only items to the far right.
Or there is that method, which I don't personally use, so didn't wan't to post without checking..

Turns out you were ahead of me :lol:
jeffpas

Post by jeffpas »

well, whatever works lol
This BTW does NOT work, which is what I had done in Ubuntu:

http://www.howtogeek.com/189912/how-to- ... ntu-14.04/

The 'classic Gnome' menu becomes available on the login screen, but if selected you just get black screen and cursor, nothing.
I found a configurable menu editor for Mint though....... but the install instructions are pretty nil. That is until I stumbled on this article, which is excellent:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/12/02/co ... -cinnamon/
Last edited by jeffpas on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

jeffpas wrote:well, whatever works lol
I couldn't have said it better :D

jeffpas wrote:I found a configurable menu editor for Mint....... but the install instructions are pretty nil. That is until I stumbled on this article, which is excellent:

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2014/12/02/co ... -cinnamon/
The above is...
kyphi wrote:Look at "Configurable Menu" in Applets.
and as the article says, install from within cinnamon is only a few 'clicks' and just as easy to undo if you don't like it.

WT :)
jeffpas

Post by jeffpas »

I like it!! :D
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

jeffpas wrote:I like it!! :D

Splendid news.. I believe the score now is possibly both initial questions answered and an even more suitable alternative found.. I'd call that a win :lol:
jeffpas

Post by jeffpas »

Let me make sure of what it was I liked so much------

If you install this and right click Menu, then Configure, there is a "Layouts" drop-down. Here you can choose any menu layout you want on fly---- including Gnome Classic (which I had on Ubuntu) and Windows 7. Its a pretty nice program someone wrote for Mint.
I had known about this before but never knew how to install it right until I found that article I posted I had just come across.
WinterTroubles

Post by WinterTroubles »

jeffpas wrote:Let me make sure of what it was I liked so much------
Did I jump the gun :oops: ... :lol:

Of course you should make sure you are happy with the 'solution' before marking as solved. I've not used 'configurable menu' myself (as you may have noted by the fact it was kyphi that suggested it), but, am hopeful it offers what you are looking for :)
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

jeffpas,

To increase the font size of only the Menu, go to “/usr/share/themes” and right click on the theme being used and select “Open as Root”. Open the cinnamon folder. Right click on the “cinnamon.css” file and select “Copy”. Paste it into the empty space to make a backup. Open the file and in the SearchFind window type “.popup-menu-boxpointer”. There will be lines that look like this:

Code: Select all

.popup-menu {
        color: #ffffff;
        font-size: 9.5pt;
        min-width: 100px;
Change the value of the line “font-size: 9.5pt”. Try 10.5 first. This default value can be different for other themes. Click “Save” but don't close the file, in case the size still isn't correct. Press Alt+F2, type “r” in the window and press Enter, to restart Cinnamon. Open the Menu to check.

Return to “Cinnamon”