User profile becomes slow and instable (17 Qiana)

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sisyphos

User profile becomes slow and instable (17 Qiana)

Post by Sisyphos »

Hi,

My Linux Mint environment becomes after some days of using (lets say after a week) unstable and slow. After creating an empty home dir everything is fine, but turns again slow and unstable after some days.

Speed:
A new profile (user dir) takes 2-3 seconds after login that the desktop appears and I can start working. When I use this profile for some days, after login the screen is 25 seconds black.

Unstable behaviour, some examples:
  • Nemo is not updating during operations like copy files. E.g. the file size of 5 files is around 20 GB, the progress bar starts going forward in small steps, displaying speed, but after 10 seconds it looks like nemo is frozen. After the copy is completed, nemo uptates the progress bar and is closing it. This is happening randomly with older profile, I have not seen it with a new profile.
  • I click on a film to play it with vlc. The player is not visible, audio is there. It takes 15 second before the player is visible. After that he is able to play the film.
  • Sometimes I cannot use the task bar to switch between programs or the context menu is not displayed. Start menu is still working in such situations.
  • unison does not react or display any activity during syncing folders. In the end to program works.
I didn't install any applets, themes, extensions ... nor did I change any of the settings (like screen saver, fonts).

About the Hardware:
  • Hasswell 4 Core Processor (using Intel graphic)
  • 16 GB Ram
  • SSDs
Any Ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: User profile becomes slow and instable (17 Qiana)

Post by ktheking »

Here are some suggestions for using ssd's in a linux system : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd
I'd go through them to see if this would solve it.
Good luck.

K.

Return to “Cinnamon”