Nemo displays in date order in Rebecca 17.1

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Nemo displays in date order in Rebecca 17.1

Post by mdavies5 »

Just updated from 17 to 17.1 and found that, when opening Nemo, it always displays in "Date Modified" order with latest first. My preferences clearly state "Arrange items by Name". I also changed to sort by Size but it still sorted by date. If you click on a column header to sort by Name then it will homour this setting as you change folders but, once you close and re-open, then it reverts to sort by date.
I have checked dconf and the default sort order is clearly set to "name". One final test: I chacked that the problem persists regardless of the view (list, icon etc).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cheers, Mike
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Nemo displays in date order in Rebecca 17.1

Post by Cosmo. »

Is this for every folder?

Try the command in the view-menu -> Reset View to Defaults
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

Yes, it is for all folders but once I click the column header "Name" then all foders are corrected until I close and re-open. Here's another clue. When I sort by name as above and open a second copy of Nemo, the second copy is sorted by date. I have tried changing preferences by GUI and by dconf but it offers no solution. Strangely, dconf only offers options for 'name' and 'date_modified' whereas the GUI also offers 'type', 'date_created', 'date_trashed' etc.
This problem did not exist in Qiana or LMDE(my default OS) but these use older versions of Cinnamo and Nemo. I used the Update Manager to update from 17 to 17.1 so the next thing to try is a complete new install. I must wait for my new fibre connection so I can download the ISO in 5 minutes instead of 5 hours :)
Cheers, Mike
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I do not see this issue here on my system, also updated from 17 to 17.1, so there must be something special on your system.

You did not mention, if you tried the reset-command I told you.

BTW: Are you quite sure, that until updating to LM 17.1 this issue was not already in LM17?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Does the problem persist if you log in as a different user?
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nemo displays in date order in Rebecca 17.1[SOLVED]

Post by mdavies5 »

Hi Cosmo, Yes I did try 'reset' without any success. Austin, Yes the problem persists with all users.
It is now solved as follows:
I moved all .config files that I thought would cause the problem and then logged in again and everything worked ok except I had lost all my settings. I then copied each file back one at a time and relogged in after each file. This way I discovered it was the file "/home/michael/.config/dconf/user" that caused the problem. I could not find any difference in the "Nemo" section of the 2 files so I just reconfigured my desktop and Nemo, which only took 10 minutes with the excellent "Settings" tool, and now my desktop is back to normal.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.
Cheers, Mike
lau22

Post by lau22 »

I've got the exact same problem, the views are always sorted by "Date Modified" when Nemo starts, even though I've selected Sort by Name. I've tried "Reset View to Defaults" but that didn't help, and I'd rather not delete my dconf preferences. Is there any other way to fix this issue?
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can install the “dconf Editor”

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
It will appear in your Menu under Administration.
Open it and go to Org > Nemo > List View > Default Column Order, and edit the string manually.
['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified']
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
lau22

Post by lau22 »

I forgot to mention I've already tried that. The value is set to ['name', 'size', 'type', 'date_modified']. Just to be sure I cleared the dconf cache as well, but it's still sorted by Last Modified Date.

The strange thing is that even if I remove this column, it's still sorted by it by default.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

This thread helps for saving / restoring dconf-settings.
malibusurfer

Post by malibusurfer »

In dconf editor look under:
org, nemo, preferences

default-sort-in-reverse-order
default-sort-order
lau22

Post by lau22 »

I've recently upgraded to Mint 17.2 and I'm still having the same issue.

As can be seen in the screenshot below the default sort order is set to "name":

http://imgur.com/xQd7xQb.png

However the default sort order is always by last modified date. In fact, maybe that's part of the issue, but when I try to select a different value in dconf, the only available option is "modification_date" (see below).

http://imgur.com/xojfnz4.png

Any suggestion on how to fix this issue?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is one more thing coming to my mind: The wrong order with date in decreasing order is the default order for the trash. So I get the suspicion, that the folder, you want to display gets somehow mismatched by nemo with the trash. I admit, I have no idea, how and why this might happen; it is nothing more than a suspicion.

Try this: Open in your home the hidden folder .local -> share and delete or rename the folder Trash. Then log off and back in. (Trash gets automatically recreated if used, so you only loose your currently trashed files.)
lau22

Post by lau22 »

Thanks, I've just tried it but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. I'm really confused why something has simple as default sorting is not working :(
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Create a new user account. The same problem there?
lau22

Post by lau22 »

Yes it indeed works if I create a new user. That gave me the idea of trying each property one by one in dconf and setting it back to default. Eventually, I found out that the bug comes from "ignore-view-metadata", which corresponds to the option "Ignore per-folder view preferences". When set to "true", it always sort by Last Modified Date, while when it's false it takes into account my preferences.

So not really a fix unfortunately, because I want this ignore-view-metadata option to be on, since I don't want each folder to have a different view. I'm going to submit this as a bug to the Nemo team, hopefully they can fix it.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

You have in nemo preferences -> behavior the option to ignore folder-specific display settings. This should do what you want without giving the problem.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 »

Back in Jan 2015 I marked my problem as solved by deleting /.config/dconf/user, rebooting and setting up all the options again. Since then I have been using Debian which never suffered this problem.
I have just returned to Mint after buying a new laptop and got the same error.
1. If I install to existing /home partition the problem persists and is not solved by above solution.
2. If I install and create a new /Home folder on same partition then problem does NOT exist.
If I copy the 'user' file from '2' to the '1' installation it still does not solve the problem. Obviously I want to keep using my existing home partition.
I have installed the dconf editor and the settings are correct. It just appears that Nemo is not reading this attribute or reading it and ignoring it.
This problem appears in Mint 17 and LMDE but not in Debian8. I appreciate that the developers all provide their valuable time free but it would be nice if they could investigate this further. I would be happy to try any tests or suggestions they may have and report back
Cheers, Mike
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The suspicious part of your last post is the difference between #1 and #2. It is not quite clear for me, how you exactly did this. Please describe it in detailed steps, what you did.
mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Nemo displays in date order in [SOLVED]

Post by mdavies5 »

Cosmo,
My hdd setup is sda1 = lmde2, sda2 = Home, sda3 = swap, sda4 = Mint17. The problem exists in LMDE also.
I installed Mint17 to sda4 and did not mount sda2 Home. A new Home folder was automatically created on sd4. nemo sort order was ok.
I copied the 'user' file to a USB stick.
I now modified fstab to mount sda2 as Home and rebooted. Nemo was now using sda2/home/michael/.config/dconf/user. This file was previously used with Debian8 (successfully) and LMDE (with wrong sort order).
I now copied the 'user' file from the USB stick to sda2 and rebooted but the problem still persisted. This solved the problem in 17.1 but not in 17.3.
The old 'user' file was 27Kb and the new one 3Kb. It appeared that the old file was being reloaded and overwriting the new file. It was easy to see this if you just deleted the file from sda2. Wait a few seconds and it re-appears. Maybe it is restored form a cache or something.
Maybe a simple solution would be to start Nemo with an attribute option. Such a flag does not exist at present. Why not use a Nemo config file and bypass dconf?
I hope this helps.
Update: I have again tried to delete the old .config/dconf/user and this time it worked. The secret is to delete this file and then reboot quickly before the file is automatically recreated. You are then left with default desktop which must be reconfigured.
Cheers, Mike

Return to “Cinnamon”