Cinnamon-Menu-Settings not properly working

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tuxmint007

Cinnamon-Menu-Settings not properly working

Post by tuxmint007 »

Hi

After upgrading vom 17 to 17.1, some menu-entries and context-menu-settings (like "change backgrounds") are not starting while clicking on it. Ex. "System Settings" is not opening, "Preferences -> Backgrounds" is not opening, "Preferences -> Applets" is not opening etc. etc. But I'm able to start the system-settings on the cli with "cinnamon-settings".

Any hints for this?

Kind regards,
Tom
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Cinnamon-Menu-Settings not properly working

Post by JosephM »

Did you try opening one if the ones that was giving you issues from the terminal? You can use "cinnamon-settings backgrounds" for example. See if it's giving any errors.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
tuxmint007

Post by tuxmint007 »

I tried this and there's not error (within the cli) and the window appears as expected. Just in the Menu, some programs doesn't start.....:

Code: Select all

$ cinnamon-settings backgrounds
Python module
Loading Backgrounds module
__init__ took 211.895 ms
JosephM
Level 6
Level 6

Post by JosephM »

Hmm, you try right-clicking on your start menu icon and choosing "Configure". In the dialog that opens, at the bottom choose "Open the menu editor". In the window that opens you can choose "Preferences" in the left column and then "Backgrounds" on the right. Click the properties button. Make sure the command is set to "cinnamon-settings backgrounds". Sorry if you already know this stuff but I'm not sure what the problem might be.
When I give opinions, they are my own. Not necessarily those of any other Linux Mint developer or the Linux Mint project as a whole.
tuxmint007

Post by tuxmint007 »

Right-clicking on my start-menu and choosing "configure" doesn't work. The "about" entry works. Starting applications with the start menu works also. Just some indiviual settings like "Backgrounds", "Date and Time", "Applets" etc. are not starting while clicking on it.

Return to “Cinnamon”