Cursor size in Chrome

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Librajohn

Cursor size in Chrome

Post by Librajohn »

I have searched ad-infinitum for a solution to resolving the size of the sursor when using Chrome / Chromium. I am aware of the settings needed to change the default size on the Cinnamon desktop. However Chrome defies change. The size reverts to a tiny pointer over Chrome. This problem seems confined to Chrome/Chromium when using Cinnamon and Mate desktops. It does not happen, as far as I am aware, when using the KDE desktop.

Can anyone offer a solution. As I have already said I am aware of "dconf" and "/usr/share/icons/default" as well as the slider in mouse settings but none of these work for Chrome.

Would love to solve this problem as I have difficulty viewing the small cursor.

Thank you in advance.

Librajohn
gary.zw

Re: Cursor size in Chrome

Post by gary.zw »

You are in luck :) I just discovered the solution 2 weeks ago here on the forum. You will need to get a Multisized mouse theme like this one http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=163310

Open Terminal and paste the following

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme
It will open gedit just change the Inherits= to whatever the name of your mouse theme is.

[Icon Theme]
Inherits=name of mouse theme

Then save and Chrome / Chromium will display your mouse theme.
Librajohn

Post by Librajohn »

I am already aware of how to change the Cursor Theme. My problem is CURSOR SIZE - I repeat CURSOR SIZE - in Chrome. Irrespective of what theme I use and the size I set the cursor reverts to a small size over Chrome and Chromium.

Does anyone have a solution - Please

Librajohn
ben2talk

Post by ben2talk »

Chrome/Chromium (and I noticed a few other apps I forget...) always lose the 'user selection' and go to the default x-cursor. The solution for us (until Chrome/Chromium et al get their act together) is to SUDO update your alternatives for the x-cursor:

ben: [~] sudo update-alternatives --config x-cursor-theme
[sudo] password for ben:
There are 18 choices for the alternative x-cursor-theme (providing /usr/share/icons/default/index.theme).

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
0 /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme 100 auto mode
1 /usr/share/icons/Adwaita/cursor.theme 90 manual mode
2 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Anthracite-Large/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
3 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Anthracite-Regular/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
4 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Anthracite-Small/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
5 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-DarkSkyBlue-Large/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
6 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-DarkSkyBlue-Regular/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
7 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-DarkSkyBlue-Small/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
8 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Pearl-Large/cursor.theme 50 manual mode
9 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Pearl-Regular/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
10 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-Pearl-Small/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
11 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-SkyBlue-Large/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
12 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-SkyBlue-Regular/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
13 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-SkyBlue-Small/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
14 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-White-Large/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
* 15 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-White-Regular/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
16 /usr/share/icons/Chameleon-White-Small/cursor.theme 49 manual mode
17 /usr/share/icons/DMZ-Black/cursor.theme 30 manual mode
18 /usr/share/icons/DMZ-White/cursor.theme 100 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:
overkill22
Level 4
Level 4

Post by overkill22 »

Librajohn wrote:I am already aware of how to change the Cursor Theme. My problem is CURSOR SIZE - I repeat CURSOR SIZE - in Chrome. Irrespective of what theme I use and the size I set the cursor reverts to a small size over Chrome and Chromium.

Does anyone have a solution - Please

Librajohn

same here, I would like to know how to manage the CURSOR SIZE on chrome. I already have the same theme, but not the same size
ronaldandrew

Post by ronaldandrew »

I have already tried these and other solutions and the cursor is still tiny in Chrome. Only Chrome.
Cursor folders in icon directories, changed default, edited index.theme and more.
I would love to fix this as Chrome is what I use most.

Thanks for any help?
gary.zw

Post by gary.zw »

Don't think there is fix for it. Except using a different cursor theme then the default and it re-sizes in Chrome
nkoropoff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nkoropoff »

I just noticed that the cursor in Chrome (at least the latest version) is now the same size as anywhere else in Cinnamon.
BigCurser

Post by BigCurser »

The way i fix this may help some
First i will Explain what version OS and what Version of Chromium I'm on as people may very well be experiencing this on different distributions/distros and therefor the setting I use to fix this in the particular distribution I'm using may not be in the same place though it quite possibly will be somewhere else in the other distributions so still may help people on other distros/versions
The Chromium Version I'm Running is 64.0.3282.167 (Official Build)
Running on LinuxMint 18.3 (64-bit) XFCE
Ok... this might seem a bit of a strange way of explaining it but I'm making the explanation as Simple as I possibly can
Sorry if it seems over the top for some, and hope you find humor in it
I Click The --Menu Icon-- (Bottom Left of the Screen In the TaskBar)
Then The --All Settings-- Icon down the bottom of the Programs List that Opens Up (When The Icon is Hovered over For a Couple of seconds it will display as All Settings) (the one with the 3 vertical sliders)
now Click the icon marked as --Mouse and Touch-pad-- Then Click the Theme Tab Along the top -Now on the Right you will see Cursor Size and a Box Next to it with a default value of 16 and this is the lowest this go's as it appears the down arrow is grayed out
- Ok so now some people are going to go away at this point -- DONT-- now click once on the up arrow to the right of the value it will change to 17 -- now -- click the down arrow that has now lit up once more (yes I'm telling you to increase and then immediately decrease the value back to the default level) (not so pointless as it may seem) -- now close all instances of Chromium and then reopen Chromium and see if it fixed the big Bloomin Cursor we have all been swearing at
And For all the pro's here's the shortened version After I hope you read that needlessly
--Menu--
--All Settings--
--Mouse and Touch-pad--
--Theme Tab--
--Increase Then Decrease Cursor size Value by one up and one down using the arrows to the right of the value--
-- close all instances of chromium--
-- re-open chromium--

Return to “Cinnamon”