Panel Character Pick Applet

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
PGG

Panel Character Pick Applet

Post by PGG »

Yes, I do note the suggestion re GitHub, but I find the site difficult to negotiate, not being a compentent programmer.

I am very interested in the 'Character Palette' applet as in GTK2/Mate. This is the one thing missing from Cinnamon in Mint that prevents me from also using Cinnamon as there is currently no application that places this utility in such an easily accessible location from top (or bottom, if you must) panel - like it is in gtk2/Mate. Any native English speaker/writer with only single language skills and using the English Keyboard, seriously needs this applet accessible when writing documents to be used internationally.

The 'Character Palette', in Mate currently at version 1.8.1, has a default set of the character groupings to cover most of the language variations that are using the Roman alphabet. However, it is possible to add to the Drop-Down listing with your own extra character groupings - anything that is in a font set can be inserted here and be as easily accessible.

The code is very old - dates from the Sun Gnome days circa 2005 - and embedded with criticisms as to coding techniques, but IT WORKS! I am wondering if any developers might be interested in looking at the existing code and re-write it to reflect current coding trends, both for the GTK2/Mate, and for the newer GTK3/Cinnamon enviroments?

The one used from the top panel is by far the most useful. These days there is plenty of real estate in the top panel to use it efficiently without crowding out all the other app indicators.

Any takers, or comments?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Panel Character Pick Applet

Post by austin.texas »

Open Menu > Accessories > Right-click on Character Map > Add To Panel
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
PGG

Re: Panel Character Pick Applet

Post by PGG »

I think we are confusing the 'Character Map' from Accessories with that of a top panel indicator type applet. The 'Character Map' displays in a window a grid showing all the Unicode characters available in any of the fonts installed, it does have a cut and paste option, but it is nowhere as near useful as that of the GTK2/Mate 'Character Palette' indicator applet which is panel-based.

The 'Character Palette' enables a right click over any desired single character displayed in the panel to the clipboard, enabling an immediate Ctrl-v paste into your text at the insert cursor. So convenient. In addition it is possible to customise and easily add sequences of characters for any other combination of installed languages to the drop-down selection list. I have added all the typesetting marks like EM-dashes, etc.. to mine on the GTK2/Mate version.

Still need a Cinnamon version to add to all that Cinnamon goodness.

-PGG-

Return to “Cinnamon”