Cinnamon Version

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zcmint

Cinnamon Version

Post by zcmint »

Looked around but couldn't find the answer to this. I've always been a die-hard KDE user but I like experimenting with other desktops as well. I'm a little confused as to what version Cinnamon is at in 17.1. In the description on the Linuxmint site it says it's at 2.4. When I check the repositories it is offered at 2.2. I've tried 2.2 and the only real sticking point I have with it is that there's a bit of a lag with graphic heavy apps and games. I have an nVidia 2gb card, 32 gb of RAM and a quad core processor so hardware isn't an issue. How do I get the 2.4 version? I forgot to mention that I downloaded/installed the final version of the 17.1 ISO when it first came out on 11/30/14 but have since removed it because of the lag.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Cinnamon Version

Post by WinterTroubles »

As KDE 17.1 has yet to be released, though not too long to wait, I believe that as a KDE user you will only be offered the mint 17 version of software in the repos. If I'm correct then once the upgrade is available for KDE to 17.1, and you've applied it, you should then be able to find cinnamon 2.4 in your repos... of course I'm not always correct :lol:
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You must have used Mint 17 (Qiana); that has Cinnamon 2.2.x while Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) has Cinnamon 2.4.x. You can see all the installed Cinnamon versions in the supported releases of Linux Mint here: http://packages.linuxmint.com/search.ph ... ction=main

Indeed Mint 17.1 KDE hasn't been released yet. Mint 17.1 will ship with KDE SC 4.14.2.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Run the following in terminal:

Code: Select all

cinnamon --version
As to getting Cinnamon 2.4, this should help: http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-I ... 3901.shtml
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

That's really not good advice Fred; that uses glebihan's cinnamon-nightly PPA. That's the unstable, untested, development version of future Cinnamon releases.

In any case, on Linux Mint 17.1 you get Cinnamon 2.4.
zcmint

Post by zcmint »

Thanks for the replies/help. As it turns out, I unknowingly DID have 2.4 installed but didn't know it at the time. When I installed the stable version of 17.1 (from the final ISO), it was done on a clean machine with nothing else installed. So it would appear 2.4 still has a bit of a lag problem then. It's not a tremendous amount mind you but just enough that you do notice it, especially in graphic intensive games. I do like the way Cinnamon looks/operates and is much easier/faster to setup than KDE as far as personalization goes. Then again, once I've got KDE up and running like I want, it's a hard DE to beat :D
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

xenopeek wrote:That's really not good advice Fred; that uses glebihan's cinnamon-nightly PPA. That's the unstable, untested, development version of future Cinnamon releases.

In any case, on Linux Mint 17.1 you get Cinnamon 2.4.
Sorry about that. I'm still quite a newbie. :D
I do have a question about installing Cinnamon 2.4 on LMDE. I've started a new thread here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=184782
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Cinnamon”